2 Bad Motherboards in a row?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am on my second ASUS M2N-E board. The green LED on the first one would never stay on longer than 1 second, so it was probably no good.

The LED stays lit on the one that I am using now, but when I attempt to start it up, the fans will spin for a couple seconds and then quit. I stripped it down so that only the 24 pin power, 4 pin power, CPU+fan, 1 stick of RAM and the case power switch are connected. I have tried this with and without the video card, and with or without the 4 pin power connector, and nothing really changes.

I talked to ASUS tech support earlier, who told me that there weren't enough amps going to the rails on the power supply, and told me the amperages that I would need when I bought a new power supply.

Well, now I have a new power supply that meets these requirements, but still nothing has changed (I'm not surprised).

Is something wrong with this MoBo too??

twite

Check to make sure everything is grounded. Also, it could possibly be a bios problem?

Try taking everything out of the case and lying it on a anti-static bag, like the one your mobo prob came in. Then start it up and see what happens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I had the board sitting on a plasic binder, so I slid the bag underneath, but nothing changes. Is it possible that something is wrong with the case?

beef_jerky4104

twite said:
Try taking everything out of the case and lying it on a anti-static bag, like the one your mobo prob came in. Then start it up and see what happens.
Thats a bad idea. The outside of an anti static bag actually causes static. The correct way to do this is by laying it on the motherboard box.

Sharkfood

It's probably still a power supply issue. I've seen many, many non-name brand PSU's just fail to provide proper initial amperage on the lower voltage rails (3.3/5v rails) and just refuse to fire-up/post on more modern motherboards.

Specs on PSU's are also not trustworthy unless they are a name-brand/good quality PSU. A knock-off Taiwan PSU rated at 35A, 500W will often times be lesser quality than a name-brand 350W/22A lol.

What brand/model PSU did you purchase? And as a side issue- what memory do you have in that motherboard?

The 380W PSU is made by Seasonic.
The 650W PSU is made by BFG.
The memory is made by OCZ Technology.

I just got off the phone with ASUS. The guy seemed pretty sure the board was bad, so I guess I'll get another free one to try this again, but 2 in a row? I am skeptical.

Status
Not open for further replies.