2 computers ethernet network

Status
Not open for further replies.
don't know anything about networking. I'm learning as I go.

I have 2 computers networked together by cross over cable using ethernet. One computer is Win xp other computer is Vista. Win xp is the host. Win xp has dsl and printer hooked up to it. They both are in the same workgroup. I ran the Network wizard on both computers.

Vista in network says...connected to network...local only. Win xp in network connection say local area connection...connected and firewalled...and it says the name of the network card.

I tried to ping Vista it says reply from 130.81.135.0: Destination net unreachable It also says that 4 packets were sent and 4 received. I tried to ping Win xp it says request timed out. It says 4 packets sent..4 lost.

I have ZoneAlarm protecting my computer. I don't know if that could be contributing to the problem. Perventing Vista from getting to Win xp.

I haven't setup sharing yet.

Can anyone help me please?

Turn off XP firewall and VISTA firewall and see if you can connect to both. Did you setup a workgroup name. like botgamesnet for each system. Did you give the PCs computer names see below what I mean:

VISTA OS
workgroup name: botgamesnet
computer name: botgamepc1
PC1 - Make sure you create a static IP 192.169.1.10, 255.255.255.0, 192.169.1.1

XP OS
workgroup name: botgamesnet
computer name: botgamepc2
PC2 - Make sure you create a static IP 192.169.1.11, 255.255.255.0, 192.169.1.1

open a dos window click on start then on run type: cmd
type: arp -a

PC1 IP
Default-gateway IP
PC2 IP

You might not see anything yet, now reboot both PCs when you get back in to them run arp -a

do a: nbtstat -n and see if your PC is registered and you should see your group name = workgroup

Got computers talking on network

I got them to talk to each other. They can see each other on the network.
Although I got help from another website forum I still wanted to thank you for your response and trying to help me.

Now I"m working on getting them to share the printer and dsl connection. Which I've already encountered a problem which sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back