2 computers

Status
Not open for further replies.
i want to have 2 computers to have an interent i have a webstar cable modem and a linksys router this computer that im on right now has the interent and i have another computer right next to it and when i install the router to that computer it says it cant find a active network adapter. so i cant enable it becasue there is none on there becasue its on this computer

To start,let's be clear on your hardware setup...

1. Your Webstar cable modem and your Linksys Router are connected to each other by a network cable. The Linksys router will have several ports on it and the Webstar would be connected to the Linksys port labeled Internet (or it might be labeled WAN) The other ports can be used to connect your computers. What model Linksys Router?
  2. Each of your computers needs its own network adapter and its own network cable which connects the computer to the Linksys Router.

so i cant enable it becasue there is none on there becasue its on this computer

So what do you mean??? You must have a router plus two network adapters. One network adapter required per computer. Or am i misunderstanding?>

1. I don't think you mean you need another modem as you said but you need another network adapter (the network adapter is not considered a modem). Each of your computers requires
    • Its own network adapter.
    • The correct network drivers are installed. The drivers are needed for the computer to recognize the network adaptor.
  2. What model is the computer you say has no network adapter?
  3. Does the computer with no adapter have a port you thought the network cable could connect/fit into? I ask because:
    • you asked if you "can't just connect the two". So i wonder u thought to connect it to where/what port on the computer
    • Want to make sure it's not just a matter of missing drivers and the adapter is really there

If the Dell actually has a port for the network cable, it's probably already equipped with the network adapter and might only need the drivers in order to work.
  1. Make certain it is a network cable port. Try inserting one end of a network cable. (Telephone ports look similar to the network ports but the network ports are larger. If the network cable "clicks" into the port, it's a network port. If the network cable is too big to fit, it's really a telephone port and a telephone cable would "click" into it)
  2. What is the exact model of the dell that you are checking on in point 1) above?

LookinAround is confirming all hardware and drivers and configuration is working.

But I wonder if this is helped by submitting a IPCONFIG (from Start - Run - CMD then running ipconfig in a dos line)
You will need to copy and paste the results here.

It may be the network settings on the Dell have a static IP address or the gateway to the modem is not right.

Edit:

To confirm drivers are actually loaded correctly, please advise
Dell computer model
Windows version

Edit2: (I hope I don't keep going on and on here!)
You can go to this site, and search for the network drivers yourself
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen
---

kimsland - jtbyanks382 indicated the computer couldn't find a network adapter vs. he was getting errors trying to connect to the network and he was under the clear impression there was no adapter, so he said, on that computer. Easy to request (post #4) for an answer as to model number to confirm there should be one there and then just give the download for drivers if not appearing. But still don't know the model number.

So what is the model number on your dell please.

If it's not written on the front, it may be at the back (for desktops) or underneath (for laptops)

Dell ?
OS ?

A lot of DELL laptops where missing PCINIC in laptops near the RAM. Do you have a desktop or laptop?

good morning jtbyanks382!

I'm only around a short while this morning. Let me give you what i think is an easy way to get the information we need. Just do the following on the computer which is unable to connect to internet (i.e. The one we don't know yet if it has a network adapter or not)
  1. Click Start. You should see Help and Support on the Start menu. Click it
  2. Help and Support Menu should show an entry labeled Computer Information or System Information. Click it
  3. You should see a summary of information about the computer. It should include (and please tell us)
    • The computer model number. (For Dell computers it's probably in the header of the table you see displayed.)
    • The Operating System. (And the Operating System Version Number will be helpful and should also be part of the information u see displayed)
    • Finally, for a Dell computer, it should also tell you the Service Tag. If you want to give us the service tag we can also then find out exactly what hardware was on your computer when it shipped from Dell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back