2 Hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

hatesbluescreen

Hi!
I'm building my own computer and I was wondering if I am able to hook up a hard drive with a SATA connection and another with a IDE connection?

Thanks for your help!

Yes

Obviously make the SATA C Drive
and ideally the IDE (ATA) D Drive

Confirm CMOS set for SATA as enabled

I found a great video showing how to do both: http://www.expertvillage.com/video/16992_hard-drive-installation.htm
I did a search in 'google' using "sata connection with ide connection hard drive" as my query. I personally find this to be a great way to find answers for questions like this.
If your building your own computer you will have a lot more questions and there is a world of info available on 'google'. of course this is a great place for it too, but can at times get hard to find the info needed amongst the posts.
hope this helps. I am new to this forum so I haven't figured out where all the answers are yet, for a internal forum re-direct.
SUB

old and new hard drive

The IDE Hard drive has been used before in my old computer with windows XP and the SATA hard drive is brand new. Will this make any difference in the computer that I am building?

(The only thing that was previously used is the IDE hard drive in my old computer. Everything else is new.)

Thank you for any info! :)

depending on the new drives capabilities, I would likely install the operating system on that one and use the older drive as a storage drive. I would also make sure to completely rewrite the older drive with a program like Wipedrive 3.0. This will make it just like the New one, regarding clean of data.

I always keep my harddrive when getting rid of a computer. They can be added to a system so easily and in a sense they are free.

If the IDE drive still has Windows on it you must make absolutely sure that the computer isn't going to try and boot from that. Check the BIOS and make sure it is booting from the correct drive.

I have a windows XP CD but its for that old hard drive (IDE). Will I be able to install XP on the new hard drive (SATA) with that CD? If I can't I'm going to want to us the IDE hard drive as the mast because I don't want to buy another windows CD...

If it comes down to that can I still install stuff onto the SATA hard drive?

Also, how do I check BIOS?

F8 is the Windows startup menu
Mind you HP also used F8 for getting into BIOS too.

But when turning on the computer (from cold start) you should notice a message like:
Hit DEL or F2 or something (for about 3secs) to get into Setup or BIOS or firmware or cmos
Too many similar words (although all different in meaning) I wish all manufactures had made the same one.

Yes Windows with Sata will install OK, as long as BIOS (setup...) has Sata enabled

uh oh....

I seem to have a problem... already.
I got everything hooked up. Hard drive, CD-ROM drive, mother board, ect.

Well when I plugged it in, it ran for about 2 seconds then shut off. I tryed replugging it in and it didn't do anything. I pressed the on off switch on the PSU and nothing happened...
Did I short out the PSU????

hatebluescreen: can you list the components you have used in your build. eg. manufacturer and model. This would help to diagnose what could potentially be wrong.

subcan,
The PSU:
TR2-430W Power Supply.
The manufacurer is Thermaltake.
model #: XP550NP

The motherboard:
Biostar with NVIDIA GeForce 6100-M9
Mainboard for AMD Processor.

If you need anymore info just tell me.

Thanks subcan! ;)

ok psu is ok, please put it back in the faulty computer (or just hang it outside - being careful)

Please unplug the HDD and CDrom, from the M/B, and check if it boots up
Also re-seat the Ram, make sure the ram clicks into place

ok the only thing that is plugged into the motherboard is the PSU. I plugged it in and pushed the switch on on the PSU but nothing happeneds...
Even the fans inside of the PSU wont spin.

I tested it on a different motherboard and the light on the motherboard came on but the fans didn't spin...
I have no clue what I'm doing wrong.

hatesbluescreen said:
I tested it on a different motherboard and the light on the motherboard came on but the fans didn't spin...
I just tryed my PSU with an old motherboard. It powered on fine but it still wont do anything with the new motherboard

So, the power supply worked ok on another system? Or it didn't?

Well, at least we're down to PSU; Ram; CPU and M/b !

Are you bench testing the motherboard (ie the M/b is out of the case) if not, now's the time to.

I have tested the PSU on an old Compaq motherboard. The Compaq motherboard was not in a case.
The little green light on the motherboard lit up so I'm guessing it is getting power.
But the fans only spun once in the PSU.
Any other times I'm powered it on the fans didn't even try to spin.

By the way, I'm not using anything like a button off of a tower to turn it on. I'm just plugging it in and switching the power rocker switch on and off. I don't know if that would make any difference...

So the PSU could still be faulty

OK the turn on part

Plug in the cable (you are doing)
And then either:
Turn on the computer via front switch (if connected)
Or Turn on computer by shorting the Power on pins on the motherboard
(quite normal and standard bench testing, is to use a flat screwdriver, to short the pins for about 1 to 2 secs)

See this PIC

Left hand bottom corner are all the pins
Reset Power LED ...
It'll be written on the board like PWR

For better info read the Manual

hatebluescreen: I found an except in the motherboard manual regarding the installation of the DDR ram. This may or may not apply to your situation but the symptoms sure sound the same.
The actual manual is available at: http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en-us/mb/content.php?S_ID=26
but the piece that I see as potentially important is attached

Edit: I see that Kimsland beat me to the manual link <hehe>

Kimsland,
That actually isn't the same motherboard as mine but I think I know what your talking about now.

Its that Silver square thing that has all of those sliver pins coming out of it right?

Not sure (that's where the manual comes in (please download this)
To be precise it's the set of pins that the computer's front cover connects too (a whole bunch of very thin colored wires - usually twisted together)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back