2 internet connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedave

Hi All

There's 2 LAN outputs on my Gigabyte MB. What would (or wouldn't) happen if I plugged a cable from my Belkin router to each of them and had them both active and plugged in? (Thought I'd ask before plugging in, just in case...)

thanks in advance
dave b

those lan ports are intended for use as a network bridge, or to connect to 2 networks at the same time. hooking them both up to the same router would yield no performance advantage of any kind. if anything, you'd confuse the lackluster belkin electronics by creating two connections with the same DNS name. unless you have a complicated static IP scheme with packet forwarding set up, you only need one of the adapters to be hooked up. i'm assuming that you are using DHCP (automatic IP addressesing).

thx

Thanks, I guess I'll skip it. Do you think I would improve performance by replacing the lackluster Belkin? If so, what features would I look for in a replacement?

thx again, zephead (Ps I was lucky enough to be at Zeps very last concert in Berlin, Germany in 1980. Not a great show, but a great memory).

belkin routers aren't too good, but they can easily keep up with your household inet. nodsu is right, if you want faster inet you have to get a faster connection type. DSL leaves room for improvement, but a decent cable modem is fine. as i understand it, comcast is now expanding thier services into cali, can you get access where you live?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back