2 PC's using 1 Dialup Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi There
I have two laptops both XP and have managed to link them together using the wizard so I can file share each one via a thick wire (think its called a parallel cable). Both have modems and are internet installed/ready when they are separate.

I've tried using the wizard to do achieve my goal but it never seems to work out. What I am trying to do is connect one laptop to the internet as a master and access the internet on the other or both if needs be.(I only have dialup) I realise the connection will be slow but despite my best efforts using the wizard I can't get a web page to come up on the laptop thats not directly connected to the internet. I've tried every way the wizard allows to make it happen but with no luck. All the utility files that came with the computers are installed so i dont think I am missing a vital component. I've even tried it without the 'slave' pc having a modem or internet disc installed.

If it is possible to do what I'm after? If so could someone explain the steps I need to take in order to do this please as I'm not very technical like many of you are. Although I am reasonably familiar with finding my way around the pc.

I read that a router is needed in an earlier thread but have no idea if this would apply to my situation.

Thanks to anyone that can help me.

you'll ned to set up internet conn. sharing on the main system and connect the other via network or something else. your main system must be dialed in for both to get internet, of course.

A router works best

The most practical way to share a line is, of coarse, to use a router. The only problem is that almost all routers need DSL or cable broadband. While Internet connection sharing can work, there is one router product that has recently hit the market which offers shared dial-up. It’s called the WiFlyer and incorporates a modem and an 802.11b wireless router within one unit. In addition to dial-up the WiFlyer can accept a DSL or cable modem whenever you feel the need to step up. The only drawback is that the WiFlyer is a little pricey (about US$150). Check out the following links for more info:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back