2 probs left w/my gf's antiquated laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
its an 01 dell windows xp (inspiron 600m i dont know what that means but its printed on it)

ok, for 6 years she hasn't had ANY virus protection up, nothing to protect against any spyware/adware/malware or even silverware.

I've spent a week on it installing every kind of cleaning program on it i use and can think of.

first downloaded norton 360 and finally got that working and taking out many problems.

downloaded spysweeper and got out many threats

downloaded pconpoint to try to fix some things

downloaded window washer

downloaded ad-aware and am running the free version because the damn site didnt send me a serial number and registration code yet

downloaded pc-medik 6 but am waiting on the registration code for that also.

it's already night and day with how far ive come along, but then new things started popping up..

heres my current problems

ccApp.exe - unable to locate component
- this application has failed to start because ATL71.DLL was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem

(hunh?) i get that when i come back from a restart

Wordperfect(r) Office 12
- The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available.
-Insert the "Word Perect Office 12" disk and click ok

- The path "wordperfect office 12" cannot be found. Verify that you have access to this location and try again. or try to find the installation package. SetupWP.msi in a folder from which you can install the product "WordPerfect office 12"

(I dont have that disk because she lost it, did a search for setupwp.msi and found nothing) comes up every restart.

THANK YOU FOR ANYONE WHO CAN HELP! :)

edit: craaaap. that atl71.dll thing pops up when i try to open norton. the hell happened? it worked last night? damnit all

Why not just format and reinstall? You and the malware have probably blown enough holes in that poor XP to make it look like Windows 95..

dont know how to format....

i would just buy a new one but dont have the money right now.

reinstalled 360 so at least the one thing is fixed, just having problems with that wordperfect thing.

its not as bad as 95. i have managed to save it, and its not like she uses it too terribly often (probably because it was infected and couldnt).

remove 360.
get your windows XP disc and follow the instructions when booting off the CD.
use crap cleaner to cleanup up your registry and files
use AVG free or AVAST anti-virus. Free.
use mike lin's startup editior to stop/start autoloading

Your HD is probably too corrupt after 6 years of foolishness by not protecting yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back