2 Question: 1/ WLAN and 2/ Epox-8RDA+ motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all

I'm have a problem with my WLAN.

When I connect using a 10/100 Ethernet cable I can link to my router and make changes to its configurations.

However, when I unplug the cable and try doing the same with a wireless connection. The connection to the standard Linksys WAG54G configuration page

http://192.168.1.1

simply times-out and fail to connect.
I have protected the WLAN network but I don't understand why this is happening because everything works, internet brousing and all. It just the standard http://192.168.1.1 link that does not work.

Also is it normal for the Wireless-g connection to cut-off. I mean it does not do it all the time but when it does cuts off I have to turn the router off and turn it back on after a 60count or so and it works again as normal until it cuts off again.

Also

I've recently got an Epox-8RDA+ motherboard, however it won't allow me to run my AMD Athlon XP 2400+ CPU at the right speed because my DDR has a FSB100.

If I select FSB133 in the bios it boots but Windows does not. I do want to upgrade the CPU at some point but if I've got to replace the DDR (which is a single 1gig module) as well then I may not.

You probably configured (or it defaults that way) the wifi router to disallow getting to the configuration page from a wireless connection. It's safer to allow this only via a wired connection :)

Agree with kenyee that there must be security settings to not allow wireless config.

Also, Linksys has a reputation for dieing and then needing to be unplugged. My wired router does this, and you can find places online that talk about it too. But that is only if the router's "error" light is on. If it is not on, perhaps it's your computer that is stopping. Such as power management turning off the wireless to save power. Check Device Manager for this.

As for the Epox, I used to run that same board, on a 2000+ I believe. Check for a BIOS update. And then, of course your system can't run any faster then the slowest component. That CPU may be a 100fsb CPU, so it doesn't matter what your RAM's fastest speed is, it can only go at 100. Unless I'm missing something.

Thanks guys

Just went through the config page and I see what you mean now.
But when you say its safer to only allow access in wired mode. Is that for secuirity reasons or something else. Currently I've got it set up to only allow access to 3 wireless devices' based on thier MAC addresses. Would someone else not on the listed MAC addresses be able to open the config page if I allowed config access via wirelss?

you are right Vigilante about the pc only running as fast as the slowest component. Its just odd that my old Gigabyte 7XDR+ (can't remember the exact model) recorgnised the 2400+ after a bios update and I was running it at FSB133. But then I get is was a FSB100 motherboard that Gigabyte had forged to allow one to switch it up to a FSB133.

So I guess I'll have to buy a new DDR when I upgrade the cpu.

If you have MAC filtering for wireless turned on, then any of those could access the setup. That is, if they know the user/pass to get in setup, which you should have a user/pass set. It's not good to have anonymous access to router setup.

As for the motherboard, if it allows you to "force" it to faster speed, that is overclocking. If it even works at all. But some motherboards just auto-detect and may not let you overclock that high.

Thanks

will play with the router config a bit later. I do have the MAC filtering on and have a user/paas set up though I've left them as the factory default for now for some reason I can't remember but I guess I can change them now that everything is for the most part setup.

I think may be I was afriad that if I changed it my computer's IP address will be broadcast all overthe shop when web browsing or something irrational like that.

No it won't do that. But regardless, it isn't that hard for someone to find your IP address anyway when searching internally on the network.

cheers

Thanks .

I don't mind internally searching for IP addresses its external sites that I'm worried about.

I'm sure you've heard of the fight Google's having with the US gov over access to all the search histories Google have collected over the years. And from what I know it is possible to locate someone's exact address from thier IP. Not sure how true that is but I just like as much annonimity as possible in life in general. You know, especially with all sorts of companies looking to collect as much info on people as possible. I didn't even realise Google collected search histories. I guess we are truely living in the Big Brother age now, hey!!?

Yes, there is very little info about anybody that is "private" anymore.

But as for IP, unless you are using an IP masking web proxy, any web site you visit can see your IP address. Even Techspot here knows your IP. :)

Vigilante said:
Also, Linksys has a reputation for dieing and then needing to be unplugged. My wired router does this, and you can find places online that talk about it too. But that is only if the router's "error" light is on. If it is not on, perhaps it's your computer that is stopping. Such as power management turning off the wireless to save power. Check Device Manager for this.

You are right it seems to be something to do with Windows. Everything is fine when the computer is off or not loged-in. What happens is the router effectivly restarts itself. Hoever when it does so it does not turn the Wireles-g part back on. It tends to happen when I just log-in for like the first hour and a bit and then after a few on-offs it goes back to normal. The error light does occationally come on but thankfully not often to be a major concern.

I tried looking in device manger but couldn't find any reference to the router.
I don't know if its has something to do with the wireless NIC itself. When I was setting it up there was something about "transmit power". Its currently set to auto but I don't know if this could be what is causing the resets.

When you talk about logging on and logging off, I assume you are talking about logging on/off of Windows itself right? As in turning the PC on and off and restarting? Because you shouldn't need to log in and out of getting on the wireless. Clarify what exactly you mean by logging in for a hour and then a few on-offs.

Also, in Device Manager, you won't find the router, but I meant the wireless NIC itself. If you go into the Properties of that, you usually find a tab about power management. Which has a checkbox for "allow windows to turn this device off to save power" or something like that. Uncheck that if it's on.

Check through the router settings for anything having to do with a schedule of when wireless is available.

Incidentally, when you say the router restarts itself and leaves the wireless off, what makes you think that? Do you have to log in to the router with a cable to turn wireless back on or something? You sure this doesn't have everything to do with your PC and nothing is wrong with the router? Give what additional details you can.

Hi
Sorry should have been a bit more clear.
Yes I mean logging on/off windows.

And I just assumed that the wireless was not connected because when the router restarted itself because the wireless-g LED on the router was not on, and windows would say the wireless connection was disconnected. Though I never did try to reconnect it. I just used to turn the router off at the switch count to 40 and turn it back on.

The wireless NIC is set to "always awake mode". After posting last night I set the router to be managed via wireless and disabled the wired NIC. And I haven't had the problem with the router restarting itself a few monents after logging unto windows.

In fact the only problem I've now got is with the game Sims 2 Nightlife which just refused to run even after reinstalling it or in Windows 2000 compatibility. I may just look for the ATI driver version 5.2 and install that. I know using old drivers did resolve problems poeple were having with GTA San Andreas.

I'm not a major computer game player but Sim2 to is just one of those things you can turn on and let run its course and interfer with once in a while to stair things up a little. Kinda like that Big Brother TV show. You know.

I wonder if its to do with the windows updater, because the exception returned is to do with the kenel, and I remeber at one point Deamon tools which had been working fine suddenly returned an error claiming it was not comatible with Windows Vista which is only out in Beta form and I know I don't have installed.

Sounds like you're having loads of fun over there.
Can't really help with Sims, never played it myself. But you're on the right track, update all your drivers, possibly reload the game again. Make sure you have the latest DirectX as well.
And then look online for any updates to the game itself.

good luck, let us know if the router keeps doing bad things. Although it may not hurt at this point to just call the router manufacturer and troubleshoot, as it may be bad, and maybe they'll send you a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back