2 soundcards

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 soundcards in my pc and I want to be able to use them both at once. It seems like win xp doesn´t allow the usage of 2 soundcards at the same time.
Is there anyway around this ??

I believe you'll most likely have resource conflicts---
irq dma channels etc.
To what end would you need 2 audio card and what are they?
If one is, for instance, on board audio, I think you have no choice but to disable the on board in order to use a pci card.
There may well be away to do this tho I'm unaware of it..
G'luck :cool:

As long as they are entirely different sound cards, or sound cards designed to be grouped together, you should be OK. You or more likely Windows will determine one to be default and the other one will be ignored unless you specify to use it from an application example right click on win amp, select options/preferences/plug ins/output/direct sound output/ and click configure, there you should see all available sound output devices.

As far as patching, you'll have to prolly hard wire one into the other. I have the SPDIF output of my 8 channel card hard patched to the SPDIF input of my default stereo card. As for making 2 stereo cards into a 4 track config, it ain't gonna happen. If both cards are the same, they will walk all over each other.

Good luck with your endevor. You are treading on some tricky ground here.

I once had a Soundblaster 128 working with a Soundblaster Live because I was using my PC in my DJ set and was using one sound card to cue the music and one as the main output. It didn't really work very well as the latency was very high. Why do you need two soundcards???

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back