2 xp in one pc help!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok heres the situation
i have 2 partition C: and D:,
My Xp can reach till window xp loading screen then restart itself it wont start dunno why even on safe mode....and i decide install another xp on D: drive and it works so now i have 2 xp in one pc....do i need to delete the xp on drive C:?,,....but how?
is there a way i use back my C: drive xp?...
coz now all my program file that intall on c cannot use already need to install back on drive D:....any opinion is welcome to help poor guy thanks really appreciated

Welcome to Techspot!
First if you have a backup of your important data / if not make one,you can do this from the new XP installation.
Now you could simply re-load XP on top of the original (1) ,that can ususally be done and your programs will work.It is going to depend on what is wrong with your #1 install.
However;
You should try to start #1 in safe mode . If that works see if there any error messages /and type ' msconfig' click the Start up tab .
Unclick all items there"Clean Boot"(or any individual items that you suspect are causing the bad Boots)
Then re-boot your system if it starts normally , keep adding items one at a time (Click in box in msconfig)
You should discover which item is bad and then fix it.
If you fix #1 simply delete XP #2

He says he can't get it to boot into safe mode. So I'd suggest that he read the sticky at the top of this forum on repairing 2000/XP.

Opp's should have read more carefully.
But the rest of my answer should work,the fact that he was able to load XP the second time ,might suggest a bad file or two on the first install.

hi i try that with the repair option but it wont let me repair c drive but only giv me an option of d:\ only how now??
then i stupidly repair d:\ which the drive already have 2nd xp which is fine
but anyway no luck to repair c:\ how??
thanks 4 help really thanks

If I understand you correctly, you had a working WinXP on your drive "C:".
Then, all of a sudden, that WinXP no longer worked - it refused to boot up.
So, you decided to try and install a second WinXP on your drive "D:".
This install was successful; you can now run WinXP from your drive "D:".
But the WinXP on drive "C:" still does not work - it keeps refusing to boot.

Is that correct?

If it is, then it looks like your "C:" drive is no longer recognised as containing a valid WinXP install. My guess would be, that it got "hidden" somehow (though I wouldn't know how that would have happened), and that you have to "unhide" it again. You will likely need some kind of third-party tool to do that, since I'm not aware of any tool that comes standard with WinXP and that will let you do it.

Two tools that will let you unhide partitions are PowerQuest PartitionMagic and GNU GRUB - the latter one comes with most Linux distributions, and can, e.g., be used from the SuSE Live CD. Plus, I'm sure that there exist loads of other tools that will do the job, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back