20-24 pin necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey. I am currently putting together my PC right now, everything was going great until I had to connect the PSU to the MoBo. Now my MoBo is Asus P5AD2-E Premium which has a 24 pin power port and the My PSU only has a 20 Pin power connector. My question though it may sound stupid... Can the board run with just the 20 pin connector? or would I have to get an adapter?
Don't poke fun please. This is my first build. I knew ahead of time some sort of problem might arise.

Just FYI My specs. are:

Pentium 4 640 3.2GHz
Asus P5AD2-E premium
1GB corsair 533
Gigabyte GeForce 6600GT
200 GB Maxtor SATA HDD
aspire 500watt PSU
DVD+/-RW drive.

other than this minor problem I'm very happy with my Choices. 1300 for everything but the monitor. (which i sprung for a 19" LCD)

Good night. Please help me.

I would buy an adapter they aren't all that expencive. I don't think it would work pluging in a 20pin in to a 24pin but I don' know. :knock:

You don't need an adapter. The 20 pin plugs into the 24 pin to the one side. The clip on the 20 pin plug goes to the right of the tab on the socket. I'm running my nforce4 mobo (24 pin connector) with an antec 20 pin 350w. psu with a 6600gt, and haven't had any problems. My connector would only go in one way(it's keyed to make it fit one way). I don't know about aspire psu's though, I think they're not too good of quality. If you want a good guide to psu's, check
this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back