20 or 24 pin PSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattkorz

God, I must be retarded or something, but Im confused... When looking to buy a motherboard on newegg, the specs say:

Features
Power Pin 24 Pin

Does that mean I NEED a PSU with a 24 pin main connector? The most common psu's are 20 pin connectors, including the cases that come with psu's. And on top of that, the psu's with 24 pin connectors are like, twice as much as the ones that are the more popular ones. And now that i read my question, it doesn't even make a whole lottta sense. Gahhh!! :( ....There's gotta be an easier way to learn this stuff. Lol

Does the extra 4 pins have to be with the 20 pin main connector? Asking this because there are 2 types:
1. 20 and extra 4 pins on the same connector
2. 20 pins and extra 4 pins seperate.

I was about to ask the same thing.... I'm looking now, and I noticed some are 20+4. I honestly have no idea what that means, but I can only assume that means that it can be used for a 20 and a 24.

the extra 4 pins supply power for pentium 4 cpus (there's an extra plug or a longer power attatchment on the motherboard to support it). If you arn't using a P4 then you don't need it ie. you can just use the normal 20 pin PSUs

If it comes as a whole, and not a 'snap off' or a seperate peice then there are 24pins->20pins converter and vice versa.

hi matt,

only older model PSUs are 20 pin. the ATX12V v2.0 specification changed the main power connector from a 20 pin to a 24 pin (2x12)

I wouldn't consider either standard more popular than the other, like anything else with computers, there are old and new standards/specifications. PSUs that come with cases are almost always garbage quality, and often times use the old ATX standard (because they are a dime-a-dozen). that may be why they appear to be "more popular". (there are some PC cases that come with decent PSUs, but they are the exception to the rule)

it would be best to buy a [good quality] ATX12V v.2.0 or higher PSU (especially if you're using the Aspire PSU that came with your case, they are well known for being low quality). that being said, if you still don't want to buy a new PSU then you may be able to get away with a cheap adapter like this to convert the 20 pin connector to a 24 pin connector.

cheers :wave:

N3051M said:
the extra 4 pins supply power for pentium 4 cpus (there's an extra plug or a longer power attatchment on the motherboard to support it). If you arn't using a P4 then you don't need it ie. you can just use the normal 20 pin PSUs

If it comes as a whole, and not a 'snap off' or a seperate peice then there are 24pins->20pins converter and vice versa.
Actually, no. It's not only for Intel P4, but also AMD, too. I have an AMD processor motherboard that uses 24 pins also.

must clear confusion

rr5678 said:
Actually, no. It's not only for Intel P4, but also AMD, too. I have an AMD processor motherboard that uses 24 pins also.

24 pin psu for 24 pin motherboard (new standard for the newer motherboards using athlons 64's or intel's newer Pentiums or newer cpu's)
20+4 pin psu for either 24 or 20 pin motherboard ( the extra 4 pins are detachable)
20 pin psu for 20 pin motherboard (old standard)
20 with a seperated 4 pins for a older P4 motherboards

I've noticed that most mobos for higher powered AMD cpus (athlon fx especially) are 24 pin connectors. it seemse that blue_dragon hit the nail on the head. 24-pin is becmoing the new standard for AMD and Intel cpus.

this is one of the situations where I just wanna wack myself upside the head. I've bought 2 PSU's as replacements for older computers, and Yea, theres an extra 4 pins that can be used in conjuncture with the 20 pin connector.... just cuz they're seperate doesnt mean they can't be used together! ;) lol. Thanks for all the help people! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back