$200 later was it a good deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought 2 ATI Radeon X1600 PRO the other day. They were marked down from $205.00 each. I was thinking i could run them in crossfire. What do you think? for $200.00 could i have bought a better one?

Yes, you could have received a better deal; say 1 GeForce 7900 or for about $30 dollars more 1 ATI X1900 (which would kill your 2 X1600's). I hope you bought at least 1 crossfire edition card or else they won't work properly together.

You don't need a crossifre edition card for X1600s. But thats not all that reassuring. The reason you don't need one is that the cards transfer such a small amount of data between each other that it can be done over the PCI-E bus. Even dual 6600GTs in SLI transfer more than that. Basically, while having 2 cards (however crappy they may be) does give you bragging rights to a certain extent, for $200 (or a little more) you could have a card that beats both of them put together.

MetalX said:
You don't need a crossifre edition card for X1600s. But thats not all that reassuring. The reason you don't need one is that the cards transfer such a small amount of data between each other that it can be done over the PCI-E bus. Even dual 6600GTs in SLI transfer more than that. Basically, while having 2 cards (however crappy they may be) does give you bragging rights to a certain extent, for $200 (or a little more) you could have a card that beats both of them put together.

Well, I guess you learn something new every day! I know that all other cards do need a crossfire edition (which are ridiculously priced may I add). What would 2 X1600's be equal to though? Surely they could not add up to overcome 1 7900-Series or 1 X1900-Series card, or can they?

They both are crossfire edition cards. And that is what i was asking, is there a card out there for about $200.00 that can beat both the 1600's... I know the 1900 and the 7900 are better, BUT does 1 of those beat these 2? I have 28 more days to figure it out. The catch is, i cant open em and try it out. (because i cannot return them if their opened)

Well, one 7600GT beats one X1600 and 1 7900GT beats dual 7600GTs in SLI, so yes, X1900 and X1950 series cards as well as 7900 series cards DO beat both of those cards and for around the same price.

MetalX said:

Wait, MetalX, don't they sell a crossfire edition card for the X1600?

Do they? I read on ATI's website a few months back that the only cards that need a crossfire edition GPU are X1800 series, X1900 series, X1950 series (except X1950PRO which runs more like Nvidias SLI with a crossfire bridge instead of crossfire dongles like the other ones), and X800/850 series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back