20meg BB not as fast thru wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ollie30001

hello all,

we have 20 meg virgin bb here, 3 computer connected total, 1 thru a standard cable and 2 thru a wireless connection, the computer connected thry a cable has blisterning fast speeds, but the 2 on the wireless side are hitting 6-7 meg tops.

cant think why, this also happens when all computers are off exept 1, so no one else is stealing the bandwidth

any help? oh its a buffalo wireless thingy btw

well wireless connections are slower if you're using a 802.11g connection - aka WiFi - about half the speed of a cable ethernet connection so it would be slower anyway

the extra decrease in speed could be the delay between the "wireless thingy" (you mean router) encrypting the data and the pc decrypting it, as long as you're using wireless security (which i hope you are)

Unless you upgrade to 802.11n wireless speeds, you'll find that you're not getting the most out of your Internet connection. When running multiple computers wirelessly on that router you have to keep in mind that 802.11g is pretty much half-duplex so there's quite a bit of bandwidth loss on that theoretical 54Mbps.

I myself have a 20Mbits connection at home & have gone from a wireless setup to a wired one (at least from my desktop to the router).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back