2100+ runs at 45C in W XP, but 51C in W ME...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vehementi

Strange thing here. Is ME just that crappy that it uses alot more CPU cycles than XP, or is something just weird? I'm using ASUS Probe on a A7V266. Very strange...

The Idle process in the NT/2K/WP OSes is efficient in lowering CPU temps whereas there isn't an Idle process in the 9x OSes.

That's why you have software such as CpuIDLE for the 9x part. There is one for the NT based OSes too but it's not as usefull.

Install Rain or CPUIdle in ME, and come back with temps. I think you will find the temps extremely similar. Look at the Task Manager in XP - System Idle Process should be using much of your processor. That is what keeps the temps down. Read the information on Rain or CPUIdle and you will see how these things work, and then you will understand System Idle Process in 2k and XP.

Actually SETI@Home is taking all of my CPU cycles (in ME and XP), but I've noticed System Idle Process does take over the majority of my cycles when SH isn't running.

I'll get CPUIdle some other time, and post back, I'm off to work now...

Uh! CPUIdle gave me 2 unresponsive BSOD's in a row...apparently it doesn't like my Athlon or WME :(

I would go back to XP, but a) it doesn't support my modem and b) there's only 20 some days left on the activation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back