220v welder 3 prong into dryer 4 prong?

I have read about how to hook up my dryer to a 4 prong to make it match my 4 prong outlet and lucky for me, it sounds like you guys(gals)really know what you're talking about!
I have a 30-120amp 230V mig welder that came out of the box with no male plug. It only has 3 wires though and my garage outlet,(wired in 2001 new construction) has a 4 prong outlet.
I have replaced 110v light fixtures and added on extra outlets in my basement, but never messed with 220 before. I have to admit that it kind of scares me! :dead:
I would love to hear from you!
Thanks!

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot!

Well I'v yet to run in to a computer that runs on 220, though I have run a split leg w/ common ground to supply a server sytem.
What part of the world are you in?

You'll need a pigtail adaptor from the four prong 220 outlet that adapts to a three, then wire the mig to a standard 220 three prong male. Be sure to know what the amp ratings are on the dryer/220 circut breaker.
In some cases you may need to have a 440 split leg to run high end migs.
Most migs are 50 to 140 amps single/double phase and dryers tend to be 40 amp single phase.

This LINK may be helpful.

G'Luck

& watchout for the blew smoke :hotbounce

Thanks for the info SOcRatEs,
I live in Eaton,Colo...We have lots of Pigs out here but none with four prong tales!!!

I have yet to find what I'm looking for(pigtail), But thanks for trying!
NO BLUE SMOKE YET:)

Well after extensive research,
Being this welder is single phase, you can use a dryer outlet(30amp) or a stove outlet(50amp). The dryer outlet is 220vac 30amp, 2 hot 1 ground and 1 common so you'd be wiring the welder to a 4 prong plug without the common wire.
The sparky I know told me a sub panel is the smartest way to go but spendy.
He told me with a mig welder to expect a large spike in power bill.
The ideal would be to have 220vac 3 phase (commercial in most areas) lower amps but spendy to bring it in to the building. Granger online will have everything you need to wire the welder.

G'Luck

Hey guys, down at the bottom of the page here, there is a section called "Similar Threads".

Look at what is there. The one and only thread is by me :)
Rewiring 4 prong 220VAC to 3 prong question

In Nodsu's reply, the first one, there is a picture in the link he provided on how to do it with 4 prongs. So Jim, there is probably a spot to connect that green (ground) wire to the frame of your welder. There may even be a specific spot for one, if not, make one with your drill.

Doh!!

Well now, if only, I would've scolled just a little further down!!!
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Thx!!! SNGX1275

:wave: Thank you guys so much! I will go in this weekend and start to make ammends with my welder!:hotouch:

Once again, thanks for your time and effort!

Hope I'm able to help out in the near future :)

Back