247 Mb Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdmnino

As the title reads, my gf has a Dell cpu from her pops and that was how much RAM she had. She complains how slow it is and I want to upgrade it for her without breaking the bank. She uses the cpu for internet and homework, nothing else. Any suggestions? 512, or 1g of RAM? Best prices anywhere?

If your looking for DDR2 ram 1gb will set you back maybe 20 bucks, really you can get it almost anywhere.
DDR which is older and slower has become a bit more expensive though so if the computer is pretty old you might be stuck getting this unless you get a new motherboard that supports DDR2. For internet and homework 512 Mb is probably fine but 1GB wouldn't hurt, 20 bucks isn't that much =p

Thanks for the help, I found out it is a DDR2. Does it matter what brand I get for 1g? Are there good brands, and do they all function the same?

What frequency is the current RAM running at? Just want to buy RAM rated for a similar frequency or want some room to upgrade down the road? If you post the rest of the system specs we can help you a bit better but here:

Here is some decent "Value RAM"...
Better quality and probably tighter timings (not listed on the Value RAM but I'd say it's safe to assume...

It's too hard to say what company is the "best" per-say. Overall, there are companies that have a general history/reputation of production higher quality RAM. These are usually companies which would be considered "first party".

First party companies are those which manufacture both the memory chip and module, as well as selling the finished product. Second party companies will generally manufacture the RAM module and buy the chips in bulk through another source, put them together and market the finished product. Third party companies purchase both the modules and chips.

Obviously the overall consensus would be that First>Second>Third but I'd say it's safe to assume there are acceptions as with anything else.

Zenosincks said:
What frequency is the current RAM running at? Just want to buy RAM rated for a similar frequency or want some room to upgrade down the road? If you post the rest of the system specs we can help you a bit better but here:

Here is some decent "Value RAM"...
Better quality and probably tighter timings (not listed on the Value RAM but I'd say it's safe to assume...

It's too hard to say what company is the "best" per-say. Overall, there are companies that have a general history/reputation of production higher quality RAM. These are usually companies which would be considered "first party".

First party companies are those which manufacture both the memory chip and module, as well as selling the finished product. Second party companies will generally manufacture the RAM module and buy the chips in bulk through another source, put them together and market the finished product. Third party companies purchase both the modules and chips.

Obviously the overall consensus would be that First>Second>Third but I'd say it's safe to assume there are acceptions as with anything else.

This is what Im reading from the extract:

-Intel Pentium 4
-Core speed: 2992 MHZ
-Bus speed: 199.5 MHZ
-Rated FSB: 798.1 MHZ
-DRAM frequency: 199.5 MHZ
-Type: DDR2
-Size: 256 MB

I hope that gives some kind of info.

Assuming your RAM/FSB are at a 1:1 ratio I'd aim for something along these lines:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227126
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313010

If you're willing to shell out a little more cash, you can "future proof" your purchase a bit by buying larger capacity modules. Might not need 2 x 1024MB now but if you happen to upgrade down the road and want 4GB of RAM you'll be in a pinch if you buy 2 x 512MB.

Take your pick of 2GB kits...

Zenosincks said:
Assuming your RAM/FSB are at a 1:1 ratio I'd aim for something along these lines:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227126
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313010

If you're willing to shell out a little more cash, you can "future proof" your purchase a bit by buying larger capacity modules. Might not need 2 x 1024MB now but if you happen to upgrade down the road and want 4GB of RAM you'll be in a pinch if you buy 2 x 512MB.

Take your pick of 2GB kits...

Called my buddy who works at Fry's Electronics and he can get me a Kingston 1GB DDR2 PC5300 for $15, what do you think? Here are some specs that I looked up for it.

Memory Bandwidth: PC2-5300
Memory Socket: DIMM
Memory Technology: DDR2
Error Checking: No
Number of Modules: 1

Storage
Memory Size: 1 GB

Type
Number of Modules: 1
Memory Technology: DDR2
Memory Socket: DIMM
Environment: Desktop/Tower Computer

Performance
Module Type: Standard (Unbuffered)
CAS Latency: 5
Error Checking: No
Memory Speed: 667 MHz
Memory Bandwidth: PC2-5300

Assuming your RAM/FSB is at a 1:1 ratio that RAM might cause a bottleneck resulting in your FSB dropping to 667MHz (about 133MHz less than the systems current FSB frequency). Though, the system may automatically run the RAM/FSB at a non-symmetrical ratio (3:4 for instance). The CAS latency is about average.

Again, it's really up to you. Assess your friend's needs.

If you just want a quick fix and call it done without worrying about it anymore, that solution might be just fine for you. Odds are she won't notice a significant performance drop if you buy the RAM rated for the lower frequency and $15 dollars isn't much of a loss to choke up down the road if you happen to decide to build a new rig.

If you'd rather buy RAM that will compliment your system a bit better and give you room to play with down the road, you'll pay now save later. If you don't foresee such a future, don't pay for it :O!

The best answer to your prob is this... Go tohttp://www.oempcworld.com/There you will be able to download a scanner that will tell you what you have as well as what your max is and give you a price on an OEM upgrade and I might add the price will be about $17 for a gig and you will have it in 3 days!!! enjoy!!!

Wow, thanks for all your help guys. All the links and info really helped me out, thanks again!

Zenosincks said:
No problem :)...

Don't leave us hanging! What have you decided to do?

I've decided to go with what my friend is offering. I talked with my gf and she basically assured me all she is going to do is surf the web, download songs, and do homework on the cpu. I used the oempcworld.com website and the numbers are different from what my friend gave me. Is that just because of the different brands?

1.0GB PC2-4200 (533Mhz) 240 pin DDR2 DIMM
1.0GB PC2-3200 (400Mhz) 240 pin DDR2 DIMM

Compared to what my friend is selling:
Kingston 1GB DDR2 PC5300

What numbers are you referring to?

*Edit*

If those are the modules that oempcworld suggested for you, then the RAM your friend is trying to sell you is rated for a higher frequency (667MHz).

Zenosincks said:
What numbers are you referring to?

*Edit*

If those are the modules that oempcworld suggested for you, then the RAM your friend is trying to sell you is rated for a higher frequency (667MHz).

If her Dell's frequency is at 795 and the one he is selling is at 667 which is closer than what that website is selling, isnt it better to go for what he is selling since it is higher than what oempcworld is selling?

Sure is. The Dell's FSB is at 795MHz. Her RAM is currently probably only operating at 400MHz. You never did post the ratio at which the RAM/FSB is running...

Your friends RAM looks like a wiser choice than that of the RAM suggested by oempcworld. However, the system might just underclock the RAM and run it at 400MHz or whatever anyway...

Zenosincks said:
Sure is. The Dell's FSB is at 795MHz. Her RAM is currently probably only operating at 400MHz. You never did post the ratio at which the RAM/FSB is running...

Your friends RAM looks like a wiser choice than that of the RAM suggested by oempcworld. However, the system might just underclock the RAM and run it at 400MHz or whatever anyway...

Will it tell me the ratio after the extraction?

CPU-Z will tell you the current ratio. Look under the "Memory" tab. You'll see "FSB : DRAM" or something along those lines...

Zenosincks said:
CPU-Z will tell you the current ratio. Look under the "Memory" tab. You'll see "FSB : DRAM" or something along those lines...

Ok just checked it, FSB : DRAM= 1:1 ratio

On my dell laptop, the FSB : DRAM ratio is 1:2, is that good or bad? Can you explain that better for me. Im a little confused on this ratio thing and what it means.

199.5MHz (your current RAM's frequency) x 4 (the data is quad pumped) and it is running at 1:1 with the FSB = a throughput of 798MHz. So, the new RAM is slower than the old RAM.

*Edit*

Well, while DDR2 RAM is technically running at a frequency such as 199.5MHz it is running at a theoretical 798MHz (due to improvements in the technology) and has a data throughput of 798MHz so people just refer to it as operating at this frequency even though it isn't. For information on FSB:RAM ratios go read up on the Front Side Bus, Memory Bus and North Bridge.

Zenosincks said:
199.5MHz (your current RAM's frequency) x 4 (the data is quad pumped) and it is running at 1:1 with the FSB = a throughput of 798MHz. So, the new RAM is slower than the old RAM.

So the system will be running slower than it already is?

The RAM will be operating at a lower frequency thus having a lower throughput. You're better off having the extra 768MB of RAM though. You should still notice an improvement in overall system performance.

I'll be stepping away from the PC for about 10-20 minutes...

Zenosincks said:
The RAM will be operating at a lower frequency thus having a lower throughput. You're better off having the extra 768MB of RAM though. You should still notice an improvement in overall system performance.

I'll be stepping away from the PC for about 10-20 minutes...

Well I appreciate all your help, I'll will give you an update once it is installed and let you know how it is operating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back