256mb Ram to 1gb of ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just ordered an extra 1GB of RAM for my dell 8600 inspiron notebook. The computer runs great now but i want to be able to run more programs without my systm running sluggish. Did i do the right move? will i notice a difference, or did i just waste 330 bucks. The total Ram will be 1.256GB of ram...thanks

The simplest and cheapest way to increase computer performance is by increasing the amount of ram in the computer. So to answer your question YES IT WILL :wave:

Don't get TOO excited. Going from 512MB to 1GB will only increase the computer-speed by about 5%. Unless you have humongous files and do video-editing (doubtful on a laptop), 512MB is plenty memory.
The jump from 256 to 512 however, is the most noticeable and most recommendable (unless you have money to burn).

well you'll notice a little improvement in performance like realblackstuff said,but if you play games the difference would be monumental,you would be able to play demanding games like doom3,KOTOR with ease and a very little boot time.the only condition is you have a good video card which i see is available in 8600 (fx go5200/64mb or ati 9600 t/128mb).also running application for video editing adobe preimere and animation like 3dsmax and maya would be possible and work smooth,if you are interested in that kind of things.your bootup time would be shorter and overall application would execute just a bit faster.BUT if you dont do any of the things above it would be an overkill.512 mb would have been more than sufficient for normal workstation operations and give you more or less the same boost 1 gb would,so it depends on your use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back