2K cycling recycling logon

Status
Not open for further replies.
New to this forum with a TOSHIBA SATELITTE 2595CDS laptop is running Win2K pro, set to auto logon.

On Boot, the Toshiba screen comes up, followed by the Windows screen which dit dit dits across approx ¾ of the way, then Windows screen states “Setup is being restared….”
This is followed by a blue screen with a 1inch black border
followed by a black screen with cursor
Then a mini-second flash of error message
And back to Boot with Toshiba logo etc.

I've booted in safe mode, used boot disks, and the install Cd and run all the Recovery perambulations. As soon as the laptop tries to load windows, I am back to the cycling.
I don’t have a recovery disk, do have the original Toshiba setup disk (which originally ran Win98) and 3 month old RegScrub registry save.

Inet research suggests that the following files may be missing:
NTLDR
boot.ini
ntdetect.com
Rundll32.dll
ntoskrnl.exe
bootvid.dll
hal.dll
system.alt
but without knowing which folder to look in, I haven’t been able to check for them. Besides I’ve forgotten what little Dos (or Win2K’s almost Dos) I used to know, with which I might copy these files (to which folders??)

Does anyone know how to pause at the error screen – it flashes too fast to hit the pause or Windows button, and holding down shift or delete or shft ctrl del does not get me out of auto logon.

Its definitly NOT hardware, as I was recovering previously deleted documents with "Smart Fat Recovery" and likely accidently “wiped” a window file!! I'd prefer not to do a chkdsk as chkdsk wld nullify any corruped files I was originally trying to rescue.

Any suggestions on how to stop the logon at the ERROR code being flashed? would exiting auto logon help? ..and how do I exit auto logon? Any help or suggestions are definitly appreciated.

You need your original Windows 2000 Professional disc to easily make things right. Chkdsk would likely not help anyway.

added info:

thank you raybay. I will contact the original owner of the laptop & see if I can get the 2k installation CDs. It'll take a few days with snailmail, if he still has them.

I did update the bios & video drivers & have a copy of same, if thats any help. I don't think its the bios as I can F1 to the bios.

When you get them, be sure to also download and installl Service Pack 3 and Service Pack 4. Windows 2000 Professional is no longer complete without them... the bare minimum install should have at least Service Pack 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back