2nd explorer.exe when I open "My Documents" folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustinl15

Whenever I open up the My Documents folder a second explorer.exe opens under the Task Manager. It is in all lower case letters. I scanned for virus's, adaware, spyware, and never removed a thing. Plus I am behind a very strong firewall that protects me from almost to many things. The second one from the "My Documents" folder runs about 22,000 K compared to the main one that runs about 38,000 K memory usage under task manager. Does anyone know or seen what could cause this. Any help would be great thanks.

Trend Micro Officescan, adaware, spybot, windows defender. Plus the server where I am at has a strong firewall, and Trend Micro Server Edition or something of the sorts. So my computer usually stays pretty clean. I ran all the scans listed above and they never removed anything major.

I am 99% sure, I even ran XP's "System File Checker" to see if that would fix the problem but it didn't. The only way I can be 100% sure is if I pull the hard drive, slave it and then scan for virus's that way. It just seems odd that it explorer.exe appears when My Documents is open then disappears when closed. It sounds like it could be a virus but I just don't think it is because I haven't had other troubles. And I have seen a virus that looks like EXPLORER.EXE before and that one when you kill it comes back on its own. Mine only comes back when you open the folder and leaves when you close it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back