2nd hand computer... blank monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rat Barzane

Please help me! I'm out of ideas!
I've looked around and done some searches and can't find anything that helps me... So here goes.

Last week I purchased a 2nd hand computer (just the tower, no monitor etc) on e-bay, the seller claims it was working fine before he wiped it and sent it via courier...
But when it arrived, I plugged it in, plugged in a monitor, keyboard... fired it up and.... The monitor remains blank.
As far as I can tell, the monitor is behaving as if there is no signal going to it. It doesn't come off standby.

I have tried 2 monitors and I know both are working normally.
The fans are spinning, I've made sure everything is secure and plugged in inside, in case something was jolted loose in transport, but other that there being only one screw loosely holding the harddrive in (which I corrected) everything seems fine.

I tried removing the graphics card that came with it and using integrated, removing and re-installing the RAM.... Basically everything I could think of.
The seller suggested that the fan my have moved a bit and be preventing the cpu from booting the machine properly.... Its one of those big chunky fans, I was going to try removing it and re-installing it, but I can't figure out how to detach it.
The PC was sent without any documentation.
It was packed well, so it would have to have had some pretty rough treatment to be damaged...
Oh, and the case speaker isn't plugged into the motherboard so i have no idea if it is trying to beep at me... I can't figure out where to plug it in on the motherboard.

I have also just tried resetting the cmos. No luck.

I am still communicating with the seller, hoping he knows whats wrong but he doesn't seem to have any ideas other than what I have already said.

Any advice would be very much appreciated :)
I can't at this time afford to take it into a shop to have it looked at... So I really hope I can sort it out!

All I know about it is this...
(information as provided in the e-bay description)
Friends 2nd and final system, hes moved up north and couldnt fit systems into luggage so asked me to sell for him. System has been burning in with 3Dmark for 2 days straight now and is still going strong, Previous to that it was running other burn in utilities to ensure all parts are in working order before sale.

40G HDD

52x CDROM

2.4GHz Celeron CPU

Floppy drive

1 x 512Mb Stick of RAM (1 of 2 bays empty)

256MB VGA card with both analogue S-Video and DVI out (plus on board video)

MSI Mainboard

Sound card

Working and tested PSU

All parts tested and working (before it was sent)

Case of system is dirty and there was a flap of plastic that used to cover the bottom 3 CDROM slots but is missing now also the I/O panel on the back of the system (piece of metal around K/B ports ect is missing but is quite standard i beleive and easy to replace. because of these little things system is sold as is.

I would remove the fan and try and reseat the cpu. Look for the screws that attach the fan to the motherboard and unscrew them. Then undo whatever latch mechanism is used to place the cpu. then put it back in and make sure that it is put in right. you shouldn't have to force it at all. reassemble and try again.

Thankyou for replying! :)

I've tried to remove the fan but can't seem to get it loose... Its an intel fan, and has 2 arms that I've released, then I've wiggles and jiggled it, lol, and it won't come off.
I've tried looking online for intructions, and I think I have found some references to the same fan, but nothing I've read and tried has helped.
I can't see any scews holding it, I'll have a look under the motherboard in the morning to see if it is attached there....

wish me luck!

success!

Nevermind, I got it :)
Taking the fan/heatsink off and taking the cpu out and replacing it did the trick, it is now up and running.
Thanks for the advice!
The fan does have 2 arms that swing over but it turns out there are also 4 little clips on the side and once i figured out that it was those I needed to detach (took some fiddling) it came off... was a bit of a challenge but I got it in the end lol.
Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back