3 Questions about Proxies/IPs

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackScarlet

3 Questions about Proxies\IPs:

1. I know that proxies such as ctunnel reroute your IP, successfully shown in IP testing sites, and I wanted to see if sites such as speedtest.net, with their locator that shows the closest port to you, if using a proxy would effectively get a speed testing site to think that I'm in another country or something, but it seems that java and flash, at least in certain cases, are disabled and I wondered why...

2. When it comes to tracking ip's, does a proxy provide a means to an end in regards to being the final destination for a tracking system, or can it extend past the proxy to find the original IP?

3. Is it possible to determine the originating IP address of an email sent to you?

your java console will not activate to be used in test
the proxy server may not have the plugins installed and if they did how would there apps get to your apps

yes some proxys are open and you can be tracked some are not
the tracker would have to contact the proxy for the log files

yes you can in the header info of the email
I have even spoofed an email message by changed the header

BlackScarlet said:
3 Questions about Proxies\IPs:1. I know that proxies such as ctunnel reroute your IP, successfully shown in IP testing sites, and I wanted to see if sites such as speedtest.net, with their locator that shows the closest port to you, if using a proxy would effectively get a speed testing site to think that I'm in another country or something, but it seems that java and flash, at least in certain cases, are disabled and I wondered why...
The Java or Flash application may not know how to use your proxy. They can use only standard proxies (configured in your browser's properties). Also, your proxy may not be able to forward all traffic, only HTTP requests.

2. When it comes to tracking ip's, does a proxy provide a means to an end in regards to being the final destination for a tracking system, or can it extend past the proxy to find the original IP?
It depends on the destination. For example, I can put a Java applet or a Flash program on my webpage that "calls home" bypassing proxy settings, effectively giving me your real IP.

3. Is it possible to determine the originating IP address of an email sent to you?
Yes, as samstoned (almost legibly) said, mail servers record the origin of the mail they process in the mail itself. This is not always useful though - what good does it do to you if you know that the mail was sent from Hotmail servers? Also, there are services similar to web proxies - mail severs that do not record your originating IP in headers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back