32/64bit OS question

Status
Not open for further replies.

laughable

I've had a copy of Windows Vista for a while now, and I installed it a while ago in hopes to finally have a 64bit OS to go with Intel E6420. To my dismay, when I had a look at the computer details on Vista, I noted that it was only running on 32bit. I wasn't aware that Vista had 32 and 64 bit versions, though it would make sense that they would. So does Vista really have different versions, or is it just that my processor can only handle 32bit OS? o_O

I've always been a little confused about that. Moreover, would running a 64bit OS improve performance drastically over a 32bit OS? Assuming my processor can indeed support 64bit OS', which I've read many times over that it can, I'd assume that using a 64bit OS would be more efficient than using a 32bit OS, in the sense that I'd be using the full capabilities of my processor.

Any clarifications on this would be extremely appreciated!

You need the 64 bit version of Windows. Do you have it. If the disc does not say it is, then it isnt.

There are 2 versions. You got the 32bit version. Your processor can run the 64bit version. Currently with 99% of the programs most people run you won't see any real benefit from 64bit, so you are doing just fine with 32bit. If you plan on running 4 or more gigs of RAM you'll want to be running the 64bit version.

..ah damn. Does that mean I'd have to buy another copy of vista if I wanted to run it on 64bit? If so, I probably wouldn't bother..

Yep, you'd have to buy a new copy. Again you won't see much if any difference unless you are going to run 4+ gigs of RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back