3200+ or Opteron??

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnePanda

Hey all...I've been looking around and have found that opterons (144/146 and so on) can OC really well...(going at 2.9ghz on air).
I was about to buy a 3200+ Venice, but now I'm thinking about the Operton...

I wanted to OC the 3200+ to around 2.5-2.7+ ghz and I'd like to do the same on the Operton...the opteron seems like the better chip here, but I wanted to get some more input on this....
Opteron has 1mb L2 cache compared to 3200+ Venice 512kb L2 cache...

Which would be better for my setup?
Which is better for gaming?
Is the opteron a San Diego core?
...also do you think there would be any problems with the rest of the comp setup?

Thanks for the help :)

hello onepanda, i believe the opteron prossor is for servers and do not use the sandiego core, if it was my desion i would definitry go with a 3200+ and if you can spare the cash i would go with the 3500+ vince core, i belive that the opterion motherboaards cost more and are designed for servers, the optero runs on a sledgehammer, troy, or ititly core, yourmother board is socket 939 i belive and that soket willnot work with the opertion

i found some opteron chips that are 939 pin and are comparable to the amd 64 chips like 3200+, etc etc... would the opteron be better in this case? i cant seem to find a clear answer anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back