Daemon Tools Problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drenholm

While installing Daemon tools (347) my PC crashed and ever since there's been a virtual CD drive but no Daemon software to use it. I try to install Daemon tools again but it tells me "Some driver has invalid name or conflicts with other file or service in system."

I tried uninstalling the extra drive from the device manager which has no effect, and after restarting the drive is back.

Anyone have any ideas?

In Device Manager, click on View/Show hidden devices
There are probably other 'copies' out for that Daemon, that also need to be removed.

Nope, there's nothing new. The extra drive is called "Generic DVD-ROM SCSI CdRom Device" if that's of any further help

Uninstall the driver from Device Manager, remove all references to it from registry. Boot into Safe Mode and remove the driver file.

umm, is there any more in depth instructions?

Thanks Nodsu

NEWEST EDIT: Novice workaround in case if you are unable to reinstall D-Tools. Rename the field for the "port" and "bus".

Nodsu said:
Uninstall the driver from Device Manager, remove all references to it from registry. Boot into Safe Mode and remove the driver file.

EDIT: attempted steps below. Did not delete any registry entry since only 1 entry came up when searching for Daemon and then adding -tools.

Go to Windows Device Manager.

Find the D-Tools DVD-ROM drive - it is called Generic DVD-ROM SCSI
Uninstall the device.
Find the D-Tools SCSI controller - it is called "D347PRT SCSI Controller" or something similar. It can have a completely different name too - you were prompted for one when you installed D-Tools.
Open the propeties, Driver tab, click Driver Details.
Note the driver file name.
Uninstall the SCSI controller.
Open the system registry.
Find and delete any entries regarding Daemon Tools (search for Daemon and -Tools, use your common sense). When in doubt, don't delete.
Find and delete any entries regsding the SCSI controller (search for a part of the driver file name and the device name you had in Device Manager). Again, common sense and think twice before deleting.

Reboot Windows into safe mode (tap F8 at startup).
Delete the driver file you wrote down before.
Restart the computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back