3850 disapointment

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebluemeaner

I just got an ati hd 3850 to upgrade from a geforce 6200tc. Well ,its enough to say its an improvement since my 3dmark06 score went from 350 to 5300. But then I decided to play some games, I thought Area 51 (the first one) would be a nice game to start with so I cranked up the graphics to the max on 1280*1024 and to my disappointment Im getting low frame rates in some points in the game (15-20). I think this may have to do with my processor since im running a pentium 4 361. I overclocked it to 3.3ghz and saw a significant rise in my 3dmark score but no significant improvement in the game. Is it my processor? Is it the card? Is it the game? Thanks a lot for any replies...

Cpu is an issue, nothing you can really do about that.
o'c the card
Get another 1GB ram (if you can)

At the moment im faced with a really limited budget so I cannot spend much money. I was thinking of upgrading to a Pentium Dual Core 1.8ghz, would I see significant improvement?

thebluemeaner said:
At the moment im faced with a really limited budget so I cannot spend much money. I was thinking of upgrading to a Pentium Dual Core 1.8ghz, would I see significant improvement?
Definitely NOT.

The HD3850 is not your problem. You have bought a fairly powerful card which is being severely bottlenecked by the rest of your PC, especially your CPU.

I have an AMD X2 5000+ overclocked to 3GHz and my HD3850 overclock to 730MHz on the core, 1004 MHz on the memory and score a little over 9,500 3DMark06 points.

Get yourself a C2D (Core 2 Duo, or Conroe whichever you want to call it). They are fairly cheap and overclock like mad. You should be able to get 3GHz easily. Than run 3Dmark06 again and you should get over 10,000 points.

I run ALL my games maxed out except Crysis. Including Area 51.

I agree that the bottleneck is the processor, but the psu is also another problem. If it ain't got juice, it can't be pushed. It's a combination of both processor and psu.

_FAKE_ said:
Definitely NOT.

The HD3850 is not your problem. You have bought a fairly powerful card which is being severely bottlenecked by the rest of your PC, especially your CPU.

Looking at my system specs, If I get a Core2duo, will it compensate for the rest of the pc?

sghiznaneck said:
I agree that the bottleneck is the processor, but the psu is also another problem. If it ain't got juice, it can't be pushed. It's a combination of both processor and psu.

Actually I got this 600 watt modular psu, 35A on the 12V rail so I think I'm covered. Since my mobo only accepts ddr 400 I cannot overclock processors by much, currently the max fsb Im allowed is 220. Ive checked and the choice for the upgrade is between a core2duo 4500 (179$ in my country) and a dual core 1.8 (105$ in my country). At these speeds I would like to know If I would see an improvement. Currently im leaning towards the dual core since its cheaper, but I wonder if the Core2duo will be inmensely better or only marginally better

i m sure most here will tell you to get the Core2Duo. I know you will be paying a bit extra, but just that will make you smile a lot more than those Dual Core.

Core2Duo's are Intel new architecture. They've been caning AMD's ever since. The old Intel Dual Core's were totally outperformed by the AMD dual cores, the same ones that Core2Duo's are beating.

Basically newer architecture at not so bad prices= buy it!!
i know i would take the Core2duo's over the old Dual Core anyday!!

If you buy a Pentium Dual-Core, as shown in the link, and NOT a Pentium D, you would see a performance improvement. Pentium Dual-Cores are based on the Core 2 architecture, and are basically Core 2 Duos with 1MB L2 cache. There are three other models of Pentium Dual-Cores too. Also, you should add another GB of RAM, because 1GB just doesn't cut it anymore.

MetalX said:
If you buy a Pentium Dual-Core, as shown in the link, and NOT a Pentium D, you would see a performance improvement. Pentium Dual-Cores are based on the Core 2 architecture, and are basically Core 2 Duos with 1MB L2 cache. There are three other models of Pentium Dual-Cores too. Also, you should add another GB of RAM, because 1GB just doesn't cut it anymore.

they are also crippled by a 800mHz FSB.

BlueMeaner, You do know that moving to a C2D will mean a new Motherboard & RAM as well?

Even the humble E2180 will be faster than what you have at the moment, though the E4xxx is a better bet {twice the Cache, higher Multiplyer (if you are going to overclock)}

The Pentium Dual Core is able to attain speeds upto and in excess of 3GHz, which gives it performance comparable to a Core 2 Extreme CPU costing way more. Here is a link FYI. Oh, and his motherboard already supports all the LGA775 Intel CPUs out there, so he won't need to upgrade anything.

And what would be the problem with running a Core 2 Duo on DDR RAM? I doubt it will affect performance very much, if at all. Game performance depends more on the amount of memory and other factors such as the video card, CPU and HDD.

P4 & S939 = DDR

AM2 & C2D = DDR2 or 3

It wouldn't even post.

The type of RAM in the board indicates it's not compatible - unless it's one of those ones with both types of RAM slots.

EDIT - OK, that board supposedly supports CD2!?!? I've never heard of one that runs DDR & Core 2's.

I'm eating my hat

ASROCK's 4COREDUAL-VSTA and 775DUAL-VSTA boards also support Core 2 Duo CPUs (Quad Cores are only supported by the 4COREDUAL though), DDR and DDR2 memory, besides supporting AGP & PCI-E. Similar memory support can be found on the MSI P35 Neo Combo and the Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R.

Well I got my in the mail yesterday can not get the darn thing working. Just the Fan. :p Which keeps my card cool. Going to a PC store tomorrow they might able help me fixed it. I just mad why it won't show any signal other card I run all the time works fine. It should work any type of computer that runs upgrade version of Vista just my new videocard HD 3850 dose not display. Even running with new 700watts. Oh well.

Unfortunately, if your system with the 3850 is the Presario sr1900nx, there isn't much you can do to help performance by any large amounts. Those just suck for gaming as they aren't designed for that kind of performance.

You've got a great videocard but the rest of the system isn't up to snuff. While you can gain smallish improvements with a beefier CPU, the chipset and memory bus on that motherboard sucks. It's an integrated R200 series chipset, lacks decent bandwidth and doesn't support faster memories/latencies. It'll basically cripple anything you put in the CPU socket greatly. They came stock and are designed for a Celeron-D.

If I were in your shoes, I'd re-think your videocard purchase.. or consider a total system upgrade. Dumping cash into that system will help a little, but you can likely get MUCH better performance for similar price. A good, cheap Intel chipset motherboard that supports DDR2 and Dual-Channel, plus a decent CPU would be the minimum... and at that stage, you'll likely need to toss the case/PSU (depending if your case will take a standard ATX PSU).

I agree with Sharkfood. You should probably just get a new motherboard, and new RAM. That may facilitate getting a new case and PSU also, so if you don't have the money for it right now, I'd hold off on getting any parts until you do.

Also...

Bigfellla said:
they are also crippled by a 800mHz FSB.
Benchmarks have shown that the 800MHz bus does not have a great effect on performance. As seen here.

Ok, the E6xxx CPUs come out on top in the memory bandwidth tests, and rightly so. But they aren't that much faster in the games tests, and those Pentium Dual-Core's can overclock to 3GHz on stock, if the review is to be believed.

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
The Pentium Dual Core is able to attain speeds upto and in excess of 3GHz, which gives it performance comparable to a Core 2 Extreme CPU costing way more. Here is a link FYI. Oh, and his motherboard already supports all the LGA775 Intel CPUs out there, so he won't need to upgrade anything.

links? regarding the Pentium Dual Core attain speeds up to and excess of 3Ghz..... Extreme CPU

Rage_3K_Moiz said:

the summary of this is some qoutes from the above:

"Of course, the performance level of Pentium E2160 and E2140 processors doesn’t look as mind-blowing as that of their Core 2 Duo counterparts. Their relatively low clock frequencies and L2 cache cut down to only 1MB do their “dirty deed”. However, in the majority of real applications these processors outperform all alternative solutions. " Xbit Labs

"We had to increase the CPU voltage to above 1.5 V to ensure processor stability at 3.2 GHz. " Toms Hardware.

1.5V???? Ok, dudes that is not a standard overvolt, its ok, but needs extra cooling. So what do you need to have a stable system at 3.4GHz? Not a Pentium. The cache does matter, so does the quality of the wafer.

The best CPU on the market in my opinion is the Q6600 with the GO stepping (SLACR) rather than the B3 stepping. That is my next purchase.

Also the chipset is just as important as the socket, plus mobos are cheap.

If i understand you correctly, you are saying the E2140 matches a Core 2 Extreme X6800 (cheapest). Those links are dodgy and standard 3DMark06 relates more to your GPU than your CPU.

Looking at the CPU scores only, I think this is better: http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=883&model2=875&chart=419

Sorry if i missed your point there, but i looked on the net and the pentium dual core SUX!

5 links from respected tech websites (including TechSpot) = Dodgy eh? I was talking about the OCed chip BTW. At stock obviously the X6800 is faster, so that's a no-brainer. And for the price, a CPU that gives performance equal to a far more expensive chip with a simple overclock is an excellent one in my opinion. Lastly, all the reviews list a 3DMark 06 standard and CPU score if you read carefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back