3Com ADSL Router problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using a 3CRWE754G72-A 3Com ADSL/Router for a couple of years now with no problems - UNTIL NOW!

I have two PCs connected to the wired port. Today, when I started one PC all was well, but on starting the second one I could not get access to the internet from it (the LED on the network card is flashing orange). Windows stated that the Local area connection was disabled.

I decided to swap the port on the router that the network cable was connected into. When I did this the other PC failed to connect to the internet.

To cut a long story short, the router only seems to work when there is a network cable connected into port 2 and that cable is connected to a network card.

I have swaped cables, ports and PCs and this is still the case. in other words the cables and PC network cards are all OK but something in the router seems to be at fault.

I even did a default reset to the router and loaded the latest firmware but with no joy.

We did have a thunderstorm last night but both the power and the phone line are protected (supposedly) by an anti-surge power supply.

Has anyone else had this type of problem or would I be better off buying a new router?

HELP !!!

It could be that that the switch chip or the ports have gone bad. Of course.

Are you sure it is as you say? Nothing works unless you have a link in the second LAN port?

You should do some systematic checking, eliminiating a possibility of two concurrent problems a la a dodgy NIC plus a flimsy cable.

I have checked all the hardware. In fact I have replaced the router with a new one that I have just bought for a customer and everything works fine.
I also noticed that even with the network cable disconnected from port 2 the led on the router still indicated that there was something connected. It flashed green. Normally if there is no cable connected to the port the led is off.

Since it seems like the router is broken I have decided to order a new one. For the sake of £60 I can't afford the time trying to get this one working.

Thanks for you response anyway.

Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back