3D Game Crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smelly

Hello wonderful forum people

I have a quite strange problem with my games which is sad because I really enjoy playing. I have read a lot of threads on similar subjects but unfortunatley not found any sollution to my problem.

The computer
I have a Epox 4PLA3I mb with a Celeron 2,4GHz processor and 2x256MB ram DDR 3200 from Kingston. My grapics card is a Gecube Radeon 9550GT. I run on 400W and I do not have any additional cooling but the fans that came with the case and processor.

The problem
The problem is that any 3d games (no need to make a list, any games except Civ 3 and solitaire) crashes randomly. The graphics just freezes while the sound keeps on playing and the only thing to do is to reset the computer. sometimes the game crashes after half an hour and sometimes after 5 minutes (always in propotion to the latest save it seems) With the ATI Catalyst I get an error message that the graphics accelerator has been reset and then I can continue playing untill it freezes the third time, Everytime It works three times! Then it says graphics hardware could not be reset please restart the computer.

The troubleshooting
I have tried quite a nuber of changes to fix this but nothing has worked. I tried changing the Graphics card to an old Hercules 64Mb, I tried changing the memory and run on either of the two 256 memories, I've tried a lot of different settings, AGP apperture size, AGP speed, Fast Write, DIMM voltage, AGP voltage. I have tried uppgrading all the drivers and the BIOS to the latest version, I have tried opening the case to see if overheating is the problem. I recently reformatted the HD and reinstalled WinXPpro with SP2 but that didn't help either. So what could possibly be the problem?

I would be very happy if anyone could help me out on thisone because my next option would be to use the computer as a booy stone or something.

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot!

You seems quite comfortable inside the box!
Good trouble shooting so far.
You may want to reset the cpu hetasink and fan,
with fresh thermal grease (I recommend artic silver 3 or 5).
What brand PSU do you have?

G'Luck

Thanks. though...

I have had the problem since I bought the new mb, so the thermal grease should already have been there right? besides I used to check my CPU temp and it is usually very low already. around 20-25c, there could be no harm trying though. The brand of my PSU is "Colors it" or something, not a very fancy brand I suppose but it is supposed to be 400W which should be enough for my system.

Thanks for you concern though and I would be happy to recieve more tips.

Hmmmmm?

When you transfered the cpu from your old MoBo, you would want
to use fresh thermal grease.

If heat is not a factor, then, maybe a generic brand psu
could be the culprit.

Do a search on the whole forum about psu's.
You'll see it's nearly the number one weak spot and cause of problems
,,,,but not always.
We spend so much on all the other componants then expect and depend
on a generic psu to bare the load.

To all with game crashing problems!

Hi,

I bought the processor and the MoBo at the same time so there was cooling goo in the beginning but so was the problem.

During the weekend i have tried updating the weirdest drivers the web has to offer such as the processor to AGP controller among others. I have also tried running with the case open and with another PSU (although this one was older)

However, I have seen a lot of very similar problems in this forum. Different MoBos different processors, different RAM, different graphics cards but the exact same problem, The VPU resets and the game crashes. I started thinking if it could be a windows problem or something. I run XP pro with SP2. Could you all with the same problem tell me what U run or if you have found any sollution to this.

Yeeehaaa, the problem remains!

Hello again wonderful forum people.

I am about to turn amish soon, that would save me several troubleshooting hours per day. I have now tried everything in my power, since my first post I have replaced the PSU, reinstalled Win XP SP 2, re-uppgraded my drivers, knocking on the chassi and saying abracadabra, among other things.

the problem is probably not...
...A graphic card problem as I have replaced the graphics card
...A memory problem as I have tried two differend brands in both memory slots
...A PSU problem as I have replaced my Colorsit PSU with a Aopen 300W
...A heat problem as my system temperature is usually never above 30C
...A drivers problem as I have uppgraded all the different drivers I could find
...A Bios problem, as the bios has been flashed
...A monitor problem (the old one broke so I didn't actually expect that!)
...A magical problem as I tried the three knocks and the Abracadabra.

Could the problem be...
...A PSU problem annyway as the Aopen 300W isn't very good?
...A Windows XP SP problem as most similar threads I've seen run this OS?
...A HDD problem, as that's pretty much the only hardware I havn't replaced?
...A sexual problem, perhaps the computer don't like me spending time with my fiancee and therefore decides to go on strike?

Well I don't actually expect to find a sollution to this, I am about to give up, but if anyone that has a similar problem ever finds a sollution please please post just a little note in this thread, just to give me back some hope!

u're PSU could deffinately be the problem as that is a light duty PSU for todays computers. a 400W or even a 450W would have been a lot better

every game crashes

i have a p4 with a radeon 256 x600 but im having loads of crashes on company of heroes and warhammer usually get about half hours play b4 it freezes up the screen goes blank the monitor switches off saying no signal i then switch it off at the back then leave it thirty seconds and it boots up as normal ive tried everything changing resolution turning down the eye candy to basic. latest drivers it still wont stop.the machine is a 3 gig p4 fujitsu siemens scaleo p. 1 gig of ram. i feel like it should cope with these games easy but cant i remedy it.any ideas

bubski, please give us the specs of u'r computer more than just the cpu, and the ps and amperage on th +12 is almost mandantory

Most possibly heat issue, possibly driver issue

Boot into safe mode, and run driver cleaner pro,,

reboot,, and now install latest official video card drivers ,, ati or nvidia whichever one it is,,

Also install DX9 from microsoft,,

gl,l

problems!!!!!!

thanx for your replys ive updated my drivers for the graphics card its a 256 mb x600 ati the game justs plays for about half hour then the screen goes blank same problem all along then i have to reset via the switch at the back im not too clued up on computers but ive tried everything i know updated all drivers to graphics card sound card changed resolution dropped all the graphic options to basic on the game. it will play warcraft 3 starcraft and the older games without problems but company of heros and warhammer just keep crashing the pc the monitor doesnt even recieve a signal off the pc after the game stops but the pc is still on and the only remedy to this is via switch at back then it just boots up as normal any replys could u put in laymen terms or explain not that im thick just havent picked up the jargon yet thanx

PSU might not be able to keep up. Your not OCing are you ? ,

Seems like a stability issue definitely,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back