3D gaming: the next level

Status
Not open for further replies.

IH8PunkRock

a couple weeks ago i was reading that an independant company (didnt name it) was developing a "holographic" video game.

now i was skeptical when i read it and i want to know if it is possible to do such a thing.

i cant find the site again though.
what do u think

Lots of companies out here in the Silicon Valley have had interesting demos of future "holographic" style games... and yes, they have all been demo'd on PC's.

Most I've seen involve a table-top device that looks like a boxing-arena. The transmitters are in the four corners and use laser or other projection devices to make a 3d shaped object in the center. The PC can move, rotate or otherwise interact with the shaped object. Think of it as 3d rock-em, sock-em robots that take up a table top lol.

I think we'll see all sorts of cool holographic devices in the near future. I can see a good market for RTS games.. imagine a game like C&C Generals where you can walk around the battlefield in 3D on a table. I'm not sure of other applications though.

man that would be awesome but is it or will it ever be smart to make? wont it cost like a lot of money? like thousands?

They already have holographic arcade games. I can't remember the name of it, but I saw one at an old run down arcade at Lake of the Ozarks probably 8 or more years ago. Granted it was a pretty basic game, but it was a real holograph.

Edit: I googled and all I could come up with in about 30 seconds was a simulated holographic arcade game called Time Traveler. I don't think this was the game I saw, but it might have been.

It sounds like the one millionth claim we've read about what's coming but never comes. Cost would be outragious and I don't even want to think about the problems with the interface. Maybe a long time down the road but even then I can't imagine something like this sitting on your desktop and being of much use. A whole room maybe, but not the desktop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back