3DS Contest Results ?

This probably isn't my business because I'm not a mod or editor or anything, but Julio posted in the comments forum that he would annouce this past Friday I think. I guess he's been tied up with stuff to do and hasn't gotten around to it, but I'm as anxious as you are! Don't really know when they're going to be announced. Hopefully Julio will clarify things soon. :)

Originally posted by SuperCheetah
This probably isn't my business because I'm not a mod or editor or anything, but Julio posted in the comments forum that he would annouce this past Friday I think. I guess he's been tied up with stuff to do and hasn't gotten around to it, but I'm as anxious as you are! Don't really know when they're going to be announced. Hopefully Julio will clarify things soon. :)
He said Friday, and implied the last one, but maybe the next one.
Try holding your breath, kicking your heels on the floor, and repeating " Patience is a virtue" over and over.:D
After a few day you won't care who wins:D

3DS Contest Winners announced
by Julio @ 3:49 AM - [Comments]
I will finally announce contest winners, I know I'm a few days late with the results but better late that never =). Choosing winners manually was impossible, as there was too many people that really deserved winning. What I did was picking my favourite members (based on quality of posts and collaboration to the community), make a list on Excel and then use a C++ script that would randomly display a number, so the results should be fair to everyone, the list had over 20 members, so here are the winners...

AZZO Pentium 4 2.2GHz combo winner: Mictlantecuhtli

eVGA GeForce 4 MX440 64mb DDR videocard winner: boeingfixer

Hercules 3D Prophet 4000XT Kyro based videocard winner: Demiurg

Terratec SoundSystem SiXPack 5.1+ soundcard winner: LNCPapa

Congratulations to all winners! I will get in contact with each one of you later today...

www.3dspotlight.com

I'd like to be the first to congratulate all of our 4 winners. Well done. Your contribution to the forums has been an example to us all. Keep up the good work!

Lord Phantazmm.

While I am saddened by my loss.:(
Congrats to the winners! :grinthumb
Mictlantecuhtli i've got a PSU for you,
just send your prize here and I'll hook it up:p
(I promise to write everyday, to let you know how well it works)

cool!!

congratulations, guys! the results are quite suprising, but a pleasant one at that. i'm really happy fer ya. :) :grinthumb

I'd be lying if I said I weren't disappointed, but the winners were very deserving and I would also like to congratulate them. If any of you guys feel guilty taking my prize ;) I'll be happy to take if off your hands!!! :) Just Kidding of course.

Once again, congrats to our winners!

If I wasnt disappointed I would be lying to myself.

What I did was picking my favourite members (based on quality of posts and collaboration to the community), make a list on Excel and then use a C++ script that would randomly display a number, so the results should be fair to everyone, the list had over 20 members, so here are the winners...

It seems that the winners were picked by random out of 20 possible users. I am surprised it was done this way...

Originally posted by svtcobra
If I wasnt disappointed I would be lying to myself.
It seems that the winners were picked by random out of 20 possible users. I am surprised it was done this way...

I agree svtcobra. I felt as though I would win something, but I didn't. The best thing to do now is to move on and keep posting. :)

I didn't like that fact that the contest ended up being random, as the rules indictated all along that the winners would be picked, not randomly chosen. But you have to imagine that it would be extremely hard for Julio to chose by himself without people getting upset about it. Maybe it was for the best, who knows. Anyway, I plan on sticking around like I've said all along so I guess I'll be seeing you guys around the forums!!! :)

Originally posted by SuperCheetah
I didn't like that fact that the contest ended up being random, as the rules indictated all along that the winners would be picked, not randomly chosen. But you have to imagine that it would be extremely hard for Julio to chose by himself without people getting upset about it. Maybe it was for the best, who knows. Anyway, I plan on sticking around like I've said all along so I guess I'll be seeing you guys around the forums!!! :)
Well semi-random. Julio picked those we felt were worthy of it, but given we'd have some difference in opinion this probably was the best way to do it (At least you made the shortlist ;)).

Well, all four of them deserved it IMHO.

That's not to say that there would have been some deserving runners up.

And if you are new here, and came because of the contest, well now you are a member of a really imformative, intelligent computing community - surely a prize in itself!

by Julio @ 3:49 AM - [Comments]
  • Choosing winners manually was impossible
  • based on quality of posts and collaboration to the community
  • so the results should be fair to everyone
Yes, it's fair. Totally fair & w/i the rules.
The rule #1 for the contest is to be an ACTIVE participant of 3D Spotlight Forums, that means you will have to register and start posting and replying to forum messages, we will be monitoring forum usage while the contest lasts, "the winner will be selected considering the number and quality of posts made in the forums, but remember, only ACTIVE participants are eligible to win the prize.
originally quoted by uncleel
ie: "Active Participant..."
One who is busy sharing & taking part!
The "quality" caveat was implemented after bad experiences from previous contest.

So I can understand the disappointment by some, if the strategy was to devote time & resources for a massive quantity of non-participatory newsposts, only to be defeated by the quiet quality poster.

That's the way previous winners have always won, starting w/ Azukre!

looks like a few sore losers in the bunch;) either that or a bunch of whiners..hahha this is my first post here so quit your whining and get over it... i've been posting on other forums and have come to the conclusion that hell i probably never going to win anything so why the hell gripe and whine...heheh

Like uncleel quoted, the official rules never said winners had to be chosen manually, I understand some of you are somewhat dissapointed... even I would have wanted to take that P4 Combo home! ;)

The final decision of getting a list done and make it a random selection was for the best, anyone can think of anything as fair as that? Anyway, I guess I will just keep using my AthlonXP with these crappy PC133 modules, heh...

• The Administrator has spoken.
  • All decisions are final.
  • Please stop whining.

1.) Other than the post count which is Objective, determining quality is a near impossible task, due to it's Subjectivity. The sheer numbers is this contest where overwhelming, & changing over to vB @ the same time didn't ease matters.

2.) The only Logical & Fair way was to put the high post count people & the quality post people in a hat, so to speak to determine a winner.

3.) This was fair & within the definition of the rules.

Personally I thought there where too many garbage posts to consider post count. ;)

Regardless of whether you won anything or not, consider that you came here and made some friends. :) :) :) Now that's better than any motherboard and chip. And there will be other contests.

Originally posted by Mr.Jekyll
looks like a few sore losers in the bunch;) either that or a bunch of whiners..hahha this is my first post here so quit your whining and get over it... i've been posting on other forums and have come to the conclusion that hell i probably never going to win anything so why the hell gripe and whine...heheh

you would be to if you put as much time and effort into these forums as some of us did.

Like I said earlier, Im just surprised it was a random pick.

maybe but i'm so used to loosing that i have gotten used to not winning any prizes and have learned to not let it get under my skin reguardless of how many posts i have made.

Originally posted by uncleel
Personally I thought there where too many garbage posts to consider post count. ;)

:dead: Amen to that...

Now we won't see half the people who joined because of the contest anymore. That's very disappointing.

Yes, there will be other contests, albeit in a while, and yes, we will get more and more members over time, for whichever reason.

But yes, the Administrator has spoken and the decision is final.

Bye everyone that joined, I would really hope for you to stay around...

:( :blackeye: :dead:

Risked my job by posting far too frequently when away for work for 3 solid weeks...
Bitter? Not me ;)

Back