4 gb memory too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hav a M2N32 SLI DELEXE mobo. (This one: www.techspot.com/review/2-asus_m2n32-sli_deluxe ) I went to the shop to buy 2 x 2 gb memory and this weirdo who helped me said that it was too much, that my mobo can't handle that much memory. But now I'm reading my mobo's manual and it sez that it can handle up to 8 gb memory. What's with that? Was he right or does he still live in the '90s?

Yeah, thing to know about local shops, they charge too much for old product, poor old fellow, stuck in the 90's. if you're only going to get 4 Gb's you'd be better off getting 4 ships with a lower latency then what you can get with 2x2gb chips. You can never have too much ram bud.

What OS are you running? Win XP (not XP 64) can't handle more than 3GB of RAM. Maybe that's what he was on about...

Well for the most part it will be overkill. Windows XP 32 bit can address up to 4gb , but 95% of the time, you'll never even come close to using all of it. I have 1.5 gigs in my system and RARELY have I ever gone over 1gb of usage - except when I had a bunchload of programs open.

Unless you do video editing or something of the sort- 4gb is too much. For XP 1 to 2 gb is a sweet spot.

Oh. I'm running xp 32. But he was talking about my mobo, he didn't even ask about my os. Well, supersmashbrada, I have checked 1 gb memories and if I buy 4 1 gb memories, it will be half as expensive as 2 2 gb memories. So I think I'm gonna buy 4 1 gb memories. It will come in handy when I upgrade to vista.

supersmashbrada said:
if you're only going to get 4 Gb's you'd be better off getting 4 ships with a lower latency then what you can get with 2x2gb chips.
Except that with most AMD mainboards, it's better to have two modules than four, because four (or more) memory modules would require the memory command rate to be two ticks (2T) instead of one.

I agree. I had to run my x2 4400 on my old rig on a command rate of 2T. It took me almost a week to figure out why my ram wasnt working right, i almost returned it.

what's 2T and why is it bad? If I would buy 2x2 gb memories, those would be twin-x models, meaning they take up 4 slots too. Hmm. Maybe I'll stick to 2 gb after all. It would even cost me half as much without all the trouble.

The command rate means the time needed to select a memory chip and send commands to that chip. The lower the better, naturally, the difference varies from application to application depending on how they use memory.

More details:
http://www.mushkin.com/doc/techSupport/papers/latency.asp

I'd say it doesn't really matter in the end, as long as your system works. These memory timings, bus speeds and so on are only interesting to overclockers or those few individuals who want to tweak every little bit out of the hardware. "Normal" users won't notice a difference between 1T and 2T timings, they'll hardly even notice single and dual channel memory difference.

Ok, thnx. I'm a very average user, I do tweak windows, but not my hardware. So 4 x 1gb memory it will be than. Thnx for all the help everyone!

it is not advisable to use 4 sticks of ram. IT is better to use 2 sticks of higher capacities. 4 sticks puts a strain on the system. Some motherboards do not handle high loads well.

waylander said:
What OS are you running? Win XP (not XP 64) can't handle more than 3GB of RAM. Maybe that's what he was on about...
not true. Windows XP can address up to 4gb RAM.

Any 32bit OS will accept up to 4GB, but not address it. 2.5-3.25GB will be able to be seen, but not addressed. The rest may be used by the system for Windows. 64bit will address 4GB but you need to use the patch from Microsoft that pertains to this. Also when upgrading to Vista 64bit you have to install it with 2GB and then after installation put the other 2GB in.

It would seem quite odd that a 64 bit OS would have to be patched to address more memory. And speaking of 64 bit, just how much software out there actually takes advantage of windows 64 ?

lol, I'm surprised that "quote" from Bill Gates about never needing more than 640K of memory still hasn't come up....

Tedster said:
It would seem quite odd that a 64 bit OS would have to be patched to address more memory. And speaking of 64 bit, just how much software out there actually takes advantage of windows 64 ?
Not much, that's why I run 32bit and have 3GB ram.
The patch is for installing more than 3GB for Vista, either 32bit or 64bit but you knew that from reading the kb article, correct?

Hey guys, I have gone through the well known pc-hell since I bought and installed an additional 2 gb of memory. It was 2*1gb apacer ddr2 pc6400 memory sticks.
Suddenly my system started to crash unexpectedly, even when I wasn't doing anything. For a week I was totally panicking every moment when working on some project that it may crash every second. Finally I found out about memtest and it told me that one of the sticks was faulty. So I brought them back today and exchanged them with 2 new ones, because I didn't trust apacer anymore, I exchanged them with the only other brand they had, I never heard of it before, it's called Nanya Elixir and it is again 2*1 gb at ddr2 pc6400.

When I put these new memory modules in, my pc didn't start up anymore, maybe I didn't push them in firmly enough or something, something kept beeping and nothing happened. I was afraid that my mobo might have got confused or something so I reseted my mobo (I think).

After that it didn't work for a while either, but than after removing and adding the memory modules for the 12th time or something, suddenly my pc started up. But somehow, even if I put in the old 2*512mb sticks too, so I have 3 gb memory, my system keeps telling me that I have 1 gb of memory. When I remove the old 2*512 mb sticks, it still is 1 gb, when it should be 2 gb. It also tells me that I have single channel memory. What is wrong and do I have to change something in my mobo bios to make it see that I have more than 1 gb of memory and make it dual channel?

I am gonna lose my head, in the meantime I wish I had never tampered with the system, with 2*512 mb memory I was doing fine or at least trusted my system, now I expect it to collapse any second.

If you run Windows XP 32-bit... if you go into system properties, underneath the CPU and RAM listing, it says Physical Address Extension if your CPU/mobo supports it. Doesn't Physical Address Extension let 32-bit XP address 4GB RAM?

Yeah, it says Pyshical Adress Extension, so I guess that isn't the problem, I went to the asus forum and somebody told me there that some mobos don't like all memory brands. So I'm gonna go buy another brand of memory tomorrow. God, I wish this would end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back