400mhz RAM shows as 200mhz?

Status
Not open for further replies.
wait, so 2+2=4? :confused:

just kidding...
thanks, just had to fully confirm my RAM was OK beings i'm troubleshooting possibly RAM related problems.

thanks again!

Indeed. It's actually running at 200 million cycles per second (200mhz) but what double data rate means is that basically it transmits data twice per clock cycle, so effectively the RAM is 400mhz.

It doesn't exactly help that there was no standard developed on how to refer to the RAM, so it is generally accepted both ways. Thus, you will find that many applications will refer to its true clock speed (200) while others will refer to its effective speed (400), and some will even go as far as narrowing it down and explaining exactly what it is (eg Sandra will say something along the lines of "200mhz x 2 = 400mhz data rate" in the details of the memory benchmark)

I have 2 sticks of DDR 400 in my machine but when i boot up in the BIOs it says 333Mhz. Is this anything to worry about? This is my system
Athlon 64 3000+
1GB DDR 400
Gigabyte Nforce 3 GA-K8NS

I have already updated the BIOs. still same thing.

DDR 400 is PC3200 and 333mhz iis PC2700. if that is 400 mhz ram in your machine it is not running at full speed.

If you are sure it's 400mhz ram then check your BIOS and see if it's got an auto setting for the RAM speed...turn it off and force the speed to 200 (aka 400)

Same problem...?

I got the same prob. When i check my RAM speed in my BIOS is sais 166 MHZ. This doesnt make any sense, i got 1gb og kingston PC3200 DDR400, or sumthing like that, deffently 400 MHZ, but 166 * 2 would be around 333 MHZ. I checked my Specs for my mobo and it says that DIMM 1 can go with 1gb of 3200 and DIMM 2 with 2 gb of 2700. Does this mean that if i use both, i can only run with 333 MHZ?

I dont know if this is caused by my RAM's, but whenever i play a demanding game my PC reboots after 5 min. If i play a lesser demanding game like wc3 i can´sumtimes play 30 minutes, other times only 10.

Any Ideas? I checked the temp. for oth my GPU and CPU, and none of them get above 50-55 degrees. I tried new drivers for my graphic, old and newer without any luck.Everything in my computer has been renewed, except for my hard drive, but im pretty sure this happened after i replaced my RAM.

lowest speed

Mixing brands and speeds of RAM is not recommended. Even if you get lucky (I did once) and different brands work together, the mobo will run them at the speed of the lowest stick. :knock:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back