40gb HDD on IDE 1 not seen except in BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a SATA 120gb drive installed, and want to put my 40gb back in for extra storage. Here's the problem. I install the 40gb, and it's seen in the BIOS, but nowhere else i.e. DOS boot floppy, or win xp. Both drives are formatted for NTFS. Any pointers?

BIOS is setup for HDD-0 first boot (should be recognized as Sata drive 0, right?). I've read on a couple of other forums that the SATA drive can be set up in bios as SCSI. Think that might help?

I even tried the manufacturer's drive setup software. Been headache after headache with this system.

Here's the funny thing. I installed win xp on the IDE drive, then transferred everything over to the Sata drive with no problem with the Data Lifeguard, (which i then had to go through the headache of re-authenticating windows xp...). But after unplugging the 40gb, and getting the Sata drive to be the main boot drive, and plugging in the 40gb ide drive again, DOS or Windows won't see it, even though it's in the BIOS.

Have you right clicked my computer and then pick manage. Now pick disk management. Is your 40 gig listed in the right window pane. If it is then right click on the drive bar and follow instructions.

From my limited knowledge, yes the sata hard drive should be configured through the SCSI option in the bios. So you would then pick boot from SCSI as the first boot device.

Ok. I'll give it a host. I wish Asus would do soemthing about their freakin' manuals...maybe put some explantions in the things.....thanks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back