450w Antec or 550w Kimpower?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mokaboy

Hello all,

Need to get a new psu for my system as i currently have a 250w and its no where near enough for what i need.

I have come across 2 PSU's that sound gd and are in my price range could some one tell me what one would be better...

Antec 450w (£36.49 inc P&P) - here

Kimpower 550w (£24.70 inc P&P) - here

Im aware that the antec is a known make and is meant to be gd but the 'kimpower' is 100w's more, is £12 cheaper and comes with 1 year warrenty...

Please someone help me here with my decision.

This is a trade rule. Dont skimp on a cheap power supply, you'll regret it when you smell the magic smoke. IMO neither, keep looking,

supersmashbrada said:
This is a trade rule. Dont skimp on a cheap power supply, you'll regret it when you smell the magic smoke. IMO neither, keep looking,

ok, so what your saying is go for a better make so it dnt blow up.

so the antec would be the better out of them two correct? even with price/power etc taken into consideration?

I couldnt tell you, on the ebay sites the voltage specs on the rails are not stated, with power supplies you get what you pay for, they both suck

because some of us dont want to see you blow your computer up with either of those power supplies

those power supplies probably came with a case bundle, rendering them cheap. Antec is an okay brand, but a cheap pwr supply is a cheap psu, anyone here will tell you this.

mokaboy: I`d go with Antec, they generally make very good psu`s.

supersmashbrada said:
on the ebay sites the voltage specs on the rails are not stated

You`re quite right, the specs aren`t stated. However, if you take a close look at the picture below, which is taken from Ebay, you`ll see the following specs..

4c85_1_b_filtered.jpg

Regards Howard :)

I wouldn`t call twin 12volt rails with 15 and 17 amps respectively low. ;) Sure, if it was only a single 12volt rail, then I`d be concerned.

Regards Howard :)

He hasnt posted his specs either. I saw he was running 250watt before, so I'm assuming he wants to upgrade other pc components, btw, check your msg's :)

sorry about the delay, thanks for replies so far :)

my specs below...

MSI Neo3 Gold NF4
- 3400+ AMD Athlon64 Newcastle core
- 2x512mb HyperX Kingston Ram pc3200
- Sata Deskstar 80gb
- 9700pro 128mb (soon to be x1800gto 256mb main reason for upgrade)
- 2 internal fans 1 exhaust
- DVD drive

Im happy you said to Antec because ive gone ahead and purchased it as my gfx card will be here 2mrw and i wana use it asap !!

im suprised 250w ran the system above, surely it would require more power than that? 250w psu was a Besreq. Any good? how much could i get for this on ebay do you think?

450w enough? considering the new gfx card?

thanks

That was a wise choice. That Antec PSU is pretty good. Should be more than enough for your current system.

As for the other PSU, I think you meant "Bestec", am I correct?

If so, don't expect more than 15 bucks for it :(

wolfram said:
That was a wise choice. That Antec PSU is pretty good. Should be more than enough for your current system.

As for the other PSU, I think you meant "Bestec", am I correct?

If so, don't expect more than 15 bucks for it :(

haha yea sorry bout that its 6.55am here :) yet to get some shut eye.

Glad, cant wait for both to arrive now, can i just clear up... dual rail, 15A, 17A = 32A simple math yes but u do add both together when its dual to find total? or? apparently 20A is recommened for the card to run corrently, im guessing the antec has more than enough?

and the 250w 'bestec', how could it run the system with such low wattage? or was it just enough? and its packin 14A on a single 12v

Was searching on ebay and come across psu's at 1000w+!!................... why?

to run your ati card you will need 18 on you 12+ rails at least, that's all im saying, im glad you posted your specs, Anything in that parameter and you will be okay

supersmashbrada said:
to run your ati card you will need 18 on you 12+ rails at least, that's all im saying, im glad you posted your specs, Anything in that parameter and you will be okay

you do not think the 450w antec will run the x1800gto?

you can run it, but there is a chance of failure. I'd recommend 30 on a 12v rail. But you might be ok, or i should say more than likely you will be okay.

are the rails not 32A? 15 + 17 ? (i duno if this is how u work it out, seems logical thou).

I got a feeling supersmashbrada doesn't know what he's talking about.

Antec a bad brand?
The 12V rails low?
needing 18A to power the X1800gto?
recommending 30A on a 12V rail?

Dude. Get your facts straight.
Antec is considered a good brand.
15 and 17A makes 32A total on 12V. Thats pretty good.
You don't need over 200W to power an X1800gto (which is what you're suggesting with 18A on the 12V rail).
I'm running a pretty large 650W power supply, and I only get 21A on each of my 3 12V rails. 30 on a single 12V rail would mean its a single rail PSU.

you're running single rail CMH? I was just saying that those rails dont look stable at all, but after he posted his specs it seems okay. thx... :) cheers

don't look stable? I don't get it, what doesn't look stable?

My point with my PSU is that 650W is a pretty large PSU, and I'm only getting 21V/rail. To get 30/rail, you'll be looking at almost 1kW PSUs, which is just too big for most people.

No, i mean the antec psu he was looking at, he was speaking of a psu at FIRST as thought he was gonna upgrade to a 7 series card or maybe a g80, but when he posted his specs i told him he'd be fine.

zzz. READ the post.

Besides, even the 8800gtx doesn't suck up over 200W of power... or do they?

I had the impression that the upcoming X2900XTX or something will suck up 180+W, and they said it was higher than anything else before it...

lol thanks for the help guys, gna see what i can get out of the newcastle core once the psu has arrived. I havnt been able to get it past 218mhz fsb with the 250w.

You're welcome.

It'll be interesting to see what effects the PSU has on overclocking. Its been mentioned that you need a good PSU to overclock, but I don't think anyone has ever swapped a bad PSU in and looked for difference in overclock potential...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back