4gb RAM - Is it worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostmonkey

Hello all! I've just built a new computer (the specs are listed under my profile,will state below as well) and am curious if adding an additional 2gb (to a total of 4x1gb sticks, or 4gb) DDR2 800 would be worth it for gaming?

I'm aware of the benefits in applications such as Photoshop, 3dsMax, and any of the render-intensive applications along those lines. However I haven't heard much from 1st hand experience as to if 4gb gives a noticable performance boost versus 2gb.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks :)

My Desktop PC
CPU: Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33ghz (@ 3.2ghz)
Mobo: ABIT IP35-E
Mem: 2GB (2x1GB) - G.SKILL DDR2 800
Video: XFX 8800GT 256mb (650/1800)
HDD: WD 320GB (SE16 WD3200AAKS)
Sound: Creative X-Fi Platinum / Logitech 5.1

A select few games will work better with 4GB of ram such as Supreme Commander & Crysis, the remaining 99% won't run significantly faster.

*edit: it seems Creative drivers have problems with 4GB or more memory*

for 90% of programs, you won't notice a thing. Like you said, a few games and graphics intensive software or OS (like Vista) can use it, but other than that no.

Eh, I'm going to go against the grain on this. RAM is cheap now, probably close to or is as cheap as it will ever get now that DDR3 is out. Might as well get the 4 gigs now before DDR2 prices shoot up like regular DDR has (although DDR2 will probably be around for another year+).

Although, I have heard, like Didou said above, that Creative has problems with 4GB for some reason.

I am with SN on this one - RAM is too cheap to not have AT LEAST 4 GB these days - it won't be this cheap forever I guarantee. Wish some of my other machines used DDR2 :(

If only I can find a workaround for 4gb while still using my x-fi card that would be great. Otherwise, I don't see myself upgrading - I'm too much of an audiophile to toss the card :)

Edit: Just found this :)
1. Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi series Vista Driver 2.15.0004 (51.93 MB) 5 Nov 07

Fixes:
* Resolves an issue for Windows Vista 64-bit systems with 4 GB RAM
* Resolves loud speaker noise when restarting your computer
* Resolves an issue that causes OpenAL games not to respond

This download is a driver providing Microsoft® Windows Vista™ 64-bit and Windows Vista 32-bit support for Creative Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ series of audio devices. For more details, read the rest of this web release note.
This download supports the following audio devices only:
* Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic
* Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
* Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum
* Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty®
* Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro
* Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion Series
* Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro

Current release features:

* X-Fi Crystalizer™
* X-Fi CMSS®-3D
* MIDI Playback
* EAX® Effects
* PCM stereo output through Optical Out
* Line-in connectivity
* SPDIF passthrough is supported on both Vista 32-bit and Vista 64-bit
* Recording capabilities

Ram

I agree 4GB couldn't hurt its cheap to buy RAM.

But it probably won't be all used on your system. unless you intend on installing another graphics card then it isn't needed and your OS might not support all the of the RAM anyways (about 3.5) unless its 64 bit which as you know has it's own problems anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back