5 Pin to 6 Pin (PS2) Keyboard converter, problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys.

I've got an older style 5 Mini Pin Keyboard, (It's like 14-15 years old..) anyways, just for the sake of trying i bought a 5 Pin to 6 Pin PS2 Keyboard converter, in hopes of getting it working on my Pc.

But its giving me grief..It picks up the keyboard when i start up the pc (the lock keys (Num,Caps,Scroll), Flash Green)

But during the Post, the computer begins to beep continously, 1 LOOONNNNNGG beep, then again 1 Loonnnnng Beep... Sounds sort of like there's a key stuck.. But dosen't appear so.

Anyways, it lets me get to the login screen (Windows XP),

But the keyboard AND mouse (Both PS2) are both not functional at this point... If i disconnect the keyboard converter, and attach a different keyboard (Normal PS2), everything works fine.

So... am i out of luck here? Is there anything i can do to get this converter to work? Or is it more likely the keyboard is just too Old?

Any ideas/replies are welcome.

5-pin? You mean the DIN connector (about twice the diameter of a PS2 (that's mini DIN))?

Most likely the keyboard or the cable is broken. You could try taking the thing apart and cleaning it thoroughly in case there is something that makes it send a keypress signal.

Looking up the meaning of the beep code (in case what you are hearing is a BIOS error code) in the motherboard manual wouldn't hurt either.

psyke said:
Hi Guys.
I've got an older style 5 Mini Pin Keyboard, (It's like 14-15 years old..) ...
... Anyways, it lets me get to the login screen (Windows XP),

Not to pick, but why and how? :suspiciou

15 years ago was 1990. The fastest cpu out was the 486DX (I'm pretty sure..) :haha:

Yeah, thats what i meant a 5 Pin DIN connector.

Don't think its a BIOS error code, because it's constant for about 3-4 seconds, then it stops... Loads a bit more keyboard lights flash during this time..

And then it again, does a constant Beep (Almost like a scream! Heh) for about 2-3 seconds, then it proceeds to the login screen for XP.

At this point all PS2 connections, will not work.

I'm probably pushing my luck, here with this ancient keyboard anyways.. But i still would like to get it working.

Taking the keyboard apart eh? Heh whats the worst that could happen? :dead:

Not to pick, but why and how?

Heh, just to prove that i can.

Plus there's something about the *Punch* sound that you hear when typing on these older style keyboards! :giddy:

Gotta love old stuff. I still have a 89-key keyboard with Swedish layout I use through an adapter occasionally.

psyke said:
Heh, just to prove that i can.

Plus there's something about the *Punch* sound that you hear when typing on these older style keyboards! :giddy:

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back