56k Connection speed & running speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

nebulus

Often wondered this? Does the speed you connect at dictate the constant running speed thereafter of surfing the Internet.
I connect @ 44,000 kbytes per second, but sometimes @ 42,000. When I notice the connection @ the latter speed, I often immediately disconnect and reconnect until I see that I have connected @ 44,000kbps.

Is this a pointless action, or does it warrant a beneficial difference to my downloading speeds after ive connected?

I would say no, you will not notice a difference, only when downloading a huge file, where it will take 10 minutes less.

So I'd say it's pointless. On paper you're only getting .25kB more throughput, which is negligible. It's at least not worth disconnecting and reconnecting.

Ahhh, so the connection speed does dictate the continuing speed thereafter then? I just had a doubt because I thought it may fluctuate regardless of connection speed.
As for .25kb more throughput, well surely any speed increase, no matter how small, is a bonus when your crawling along on a 56k? So long as it chips a few ping points off in Counter-Strike :D

Originally posted by Vehementi
I would say no, you will not notice a difference, only when downloading a huge file, where it will take 10 minutes less.

So I'd say it's pointless. On paper you're only getting .25kB more throughput, which is negligible. It's at least not worth disconnecting and reconnecting.

I wouldn't exactly say it isn't worth it. With the amount of graphics and other media used in most webpages these days, every little bit helps, especially to those of us still on dialup. I can definately tell a difference between a 42.5k connection and a 46.5k connection, which are the speeds I usually connect at. It isn't much but when trying to sift through search results for relavent info, it can make a difference.

I'd say anything you can do to make a dial-up connection better is worth it. Dial-up is dreadful, and if you can make it even a little bit faster then go for it.

why not, i agree with tor, through past experience of using dialup , i found that a difference of 50000 bps between 48000bps had a noticeable increase in performance in my modem.

From exerience, I have discovered that your inititial connection speed does determine your download speed.

There have been times when I have connected at 33.6 and it is quite slow downloading (3.5kb/sec or so).. Then I immediately reconnected and 48kbps is significantly faster throughout my entire session. (5.0kb/sec)

It's silly and I don't have any technical information to back it up, but this has happened many times to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back