56k modem help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acidwinter

Im trying to fix a 56k modem problem for a friend and I decided to get a new one because Im pretty sure the other one is fried. So I put it in and I got it to connect and everything but it wont connect above 12k. I mean I know its rare that it ever connects at 56k on a modem but 9k-12k is just frickan crazy. It is extremely slow and wont go any faster. Any thoughts on how to make the connection better?

Even with the booster, it will be slow. That`s the nature about dial-up. I`ve had it and really hated it. I tried all the "boosters" available, and still it was the same.

Time to upgrade to broadband, it`s MUCH MUCH better.

Did you install the drivers for the modem? also His ISP should have provided him with a disk with a program that has a wizard that configures his modem for connecting with them. did you redo the connection with the new modem?

most boosters for dial-up are really a waste of time. All they do is compress or filter out graphics (which tend to take the longest for downloading.) You're really not going to speed it up that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back