5G wireless communication standard is finalized and ready for announcement

Greg S

Something to look forward to: The road to implementing 4G LTE was a long and arduous journey. It took nearly four years to design and implement the current standard of wireless communication. Now, 5G has been drafted and is ready for the Phase-1 standard in just 27 months.

Beginning in April 2016, Samsung Electronics hosted the Third Generation Partnership Project (3GPP) as the first meeting to discuss 5G standards. Over 80 telecommunications businesses were present. Two years later in May 2018, Samsung held a second meeting in Busan, Korea to complete the standardization process.

Using feedback from the Busan meeting this year, 3GPP will announce the 5G Phase-1 Standard at its general meeting held in the United States in June.

Next generation services using 5G will offer up to 20 times more performance than current 4G LTE options. In highly select markets, 5G will be available as soon as this year, but do not expect widespread availability for several more years.

A significantly faster development time for 5G is largely thanks to Japan, Korea, and the United States. An original target of 2017 was set by Samsung, but compromises were made to allow other participants in discussions to finish LTE projects before moving on to 5G.

Green lights from the FCC to go ahead with greater-than-6GHz frequencies offered the opportunity to push towards 5G in full force. As one of the leaders in 5G development, Samsung has registered over 1,200 patents related to 5G as of May this year.

Commercialization of 5G will be a heated race in the second half of 2018 once the Phase-1 standard is made available. There will be no time to delay for semiconductor manufacturers hoping to grab a piece of the revenue generated by a global roll out of next generation networking.

Permalink to story.

Considering how close together they will need to put those antenna, I wonder if our CDC is going to pay for a study of the emitting radiation and it's effect on birds, linemen, and of course the everyday user .....

We all resonate ! the manipulation of these frequencies will be lead by this tech. silent weapons for silent wars.

The problem I see right now with 5G is indoor performance. It might be fine with thin walls or when near windows, but as soon as I enter a big shop/mall or a big house the higher freq might cause issues.

The problem I see right now with 5G is indoor performance. It might be fine with thin walls or when near windows, but as soon as I enter a big shop/mall or a big house the higher freq might cause issues.

I can see phone providers like AT&T and Verizon offering adapters that receive and amplify the 5G signal and then sends it on to the cell towers. Such an adapter could also connect to broadband connections, either hard-wired or Wi-Fi, and then send data over the internet. Could be useful in cases where you're in a public area and don't want to connect to the nearby Wi-Fi for whatever reason.

I can see phone providers like AT&T and Verizon offering adapters that receive and amplify the 5G signal and then sends it on to the cell towers. Such an adapter could also connect to broadband connections, either hard-wired or Wi-Fi, and then send data over the internet. Could be useful in cases where you're in a public area and don't want to connect to the nearby Wi-Fi for whatever reason.
Not really an elegant solution. We should be moving away from needing extra hardware.

I don't disagree, but when you have all sorts of other new devices popping up enabled for IoT, Smart Home tech, and things of the like, I don't see people balking at a 5G signal repeater when you tell them that it could act as a hub for all of the other devices in their home. People love gadgets. Especially fast ones that serve them HD media.

I don't disagree, but when you have all sorts of other new devices popping up enabled for IoT, Smart Home tech, and things of the like, I don't see people balking at a 5G signal repeater when you tell them that it could act as a hub for all of the other devices in their home. People love gadgets. Especially fast ones that serve them HD media.
I'm saying all of these things because I've seen many people using 5G as an excuse to say that ISP won't have a monopoly in the US anymore (even though it will be years until 5G is fully deployed and operational). Mobile internet is not a replacement for a proper wired connection at work or at home. It's just not going to be reliable in any way, shape or form.

It has been my experience with both the so called “major” providers that they scoff at the idea of providing wireless service indoors. They don’t consider it to be of any concern, regardless of what the end user wants. T-mobile on the other hand gave me an indoor personal cell tower to make certain I had full bars inside my home. Now I can’t imagine why some companies would take such a dim view of doing something nice for Joe Consumer and another would jump at the chance to be nice. Oh wait, foolish me, the other guys offer hard line service the other does not.

Considering how close together they will need to put those antenna, I wonder if our CDC is going to pay for a study of the emitting radiation and it's effect on birds, linemen, and of course the everyday user .....

The guinea pigs are people that live in the big cities that are getting this put up in. So watch to see if cancer rates increase in the first cities with 5G. Probably doubt it will but it will be interesting to see if it does.

Until 5G is widely used and accepted, I will stay with my trusty old 4G phone....

Back