How to Split an ISO file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

samoray

Hi everybody,
I have a huge .ISO file (simple software installation, not bootable) which I want to split it onto 02 parts inorder to burn it into 02 CD-R (I dont have a DVD burner), how can I do it?please, I tried PowerISO, Total Commander... without prevail, can anyone help, please?

It all depends on what you are trying to convert and how big the files within it are!!!

look! the file is about 904 MB, it's in ISO extension, normally it should be burned into a DVD so that you can install the software inside it, but I dont have a DVD burner, so I want to split it ito 02 parts and burn each part on a CD-R and finally I will have two CD-R and the installtion can be run from the CD-R n°1, hope it's clear now...

@:RealBlackStuff, thank you so much for the HjSplitter, it's really amazing, but is there any other method where I can save the ability of installingthe software inside the ISO file without need to join the splitted files?

not sure if it was nero or ultra iso that split the image up
but I think what you need is a autorun app that will prompt for the 2nd disc
try autoplay
i don't make smaller disc I make'm bigger
if you have some re-writables you can prctice with
or a virtual cd drives make 2 disc leave the inf file on the one or even make a copy place half the files on 1 disc half on the other and then mount see if the program loads.

It all depends on the installer and/or any copy protection tricks. You can easily make two CDs containing the files that were in the original huge ISO - just extract the files somewhere on your computer and put them on two CDs using your favourite CD burning program..

The question is, how will the installer feel when it has access to only half of the files at a time. WIll it fail or ask you kindly to put in the "correct" DVD? Or maybe you should split the files between the CDs in some specific way to make the installation seamless?

korrupt - because he wants to be able to install it, not move it from 1 comp to the other.

Should just use a program like Daemon Tools to mount the iso and install from there, skipping the burning altogether.

I am also trying to do the same. I'm trying to split an ISO of 5.1GB to fit on two 4.7GB DVDs letting it still install.

I've tried that Splitter to extract my ISO and this is my question for you.

When I split my ISO, what do I do? How would I go about burning these parts? Because I'm not sure if you want me to make a ISO from the with half the parts from the ISO or just burn them seperatly.

and about this autoplay, how will i make one? x_x

Just burn each of the 'split' parts onto a CD or DVD. These parts are useless by themselves while on CD/DVD, but you can copy them all back onto a(nother) HD, and then 'join' them again into the original ISO (using the JOIN part of the original SPLIT program), which you can then install.

Do a Google for Autorun/Autoplay

Not what I was asking for........

I clearly said I wanted to install from the disc, I don't wanna transfer it to another Hard Drive or join them again, I wanna make a ISO (5.1Gb) into 2 dvds, and I want them to be able to install without me rejoining it or putting it on a HDD. Can someone please tell me how I would be able to do that?

You can't do that. There is that what you wanted to hear? You'd have to have an installer that when it can't find a file it needs ask you to locate it.

The only possible way of doing this is to extract the iso to your hard drive, open up a program that can create ISO files, and put some of the files into 1 ISO and the remaining on the other disk. Then burn both ISOs.

But thats stupid because you'd already have them extracted so you should just burn, but you had to insist about them being only ISOs.

Now supposing you are able to figure that out, you'll begin the install and it won't ever ask for that 2nd disk you created, it will just bomb out on the install because its missing files. It likely won't be a friendly as a MS Office or OS install where it asks to verify the file location and try again.

Buy a Dual Layer dvd and just burn the full iso.

I'm not buying no Dual Layer DVD, I just need to know how to do what I'm asking, If you can't help me, then I'll just have to keep looking, cause there's always a way to do something.

check out 911 CD Builder
this may help you it is for bootable disc's ,but may split a installer
autoplay will work ,learning curve not that bad
I have been busy with CNC controllers,soon will be getting back to writing installer script

Edited for SNGX1275

my last thoughts for this poster

did you even look at my suggestion
use more tact when asking for help

Frozenwind said:
I'm not buying no Dual Layer DVD, I just need to know how to do what I'm asking, If you can't help me, then I'll just have to keep looking, cause there's always a way to do something.
I figured you had that attitude, but I gave you the benefit of the doubt and edited my last post a few minutes after I posted it to be a little nicer.

But dude, without saying what you are trying to burn we aren't going to be much help. If its something open source you might have a chance. But if its something like a game you downloaded there isn't a way to do it, the installer of whatever you are dealing with here would have had to be written in such a way that when it can't find the file it asks for the user to locate it.

I'll give you credit SNGX1275
I figured you had that attitude, but I gave you the benefit of the doubt and edited my last post a few minutes after I posted it to be a little nicer.
You had a lot more tact than I would have had.:cool:

Ok guys here we go! I have a bit of a different situation here. I downloaded Windows server 2008 from Microsoft's Dream spark site it is a 1.75gig ISO type file. I have a DVD burner on my laptop which Is where the file was downloaded to. But do not have a DVD on the computer receiving the installation. I have a ram media disc to save the file to but I can not obviously run it on the receiving PC so the best I can figure is that the file needs to be in chunks.
My server 2003 came split up already I do not get the reason's for this one being in one large file like this.So I suppose my Q is if I mount the file with a virtual drive can I network install the program or maybe save it to one of my HDD on the receiving PC and install it to replace the existing OS server 2003 I am not worried about loosing anything I have what I want saveed on a separate Partition. or is there a media that is not a DVD format that I can buy that it will fit on? Open to any ideas Thanks to all for any and all help.

But do not have a DVD on the computer receiving the installation
This thread is very old. Not sure it's best to post here.
You are best to create your own thread.

By the way, to stop all the fuss, just buy a DVD drive, they even had them when this thread was made. A long time ago!

This is my last reply on this old thread

Under ideal circumstances the iso would have a cab file(s) in it that when removed and put on a separate disk would make both disks within cd size limits. Then during install when the program stops and says it can't find the cab file you would switch disks and try again. then eventually when its done with the cab file switch back to disk1.

On the other hand you could get the iso to the other PC if its networked or by splitting in any fashion and use a virtual drive to run it or an iso utility to extract it to the hard drive and run its setup.exe from there. Most programs will install without the disk if you extract all the files to the hard drive and run it from there. It depends on any protection it might have, games do not like installing from the hard drive for instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back