64 bit processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

somekid007

i've been hearing lately that AMD is due to release a 64bit Athlon64(clawhammer) cpu in september/october/november. i also know that intel is launching a cpu on the prescott core. will the prescott cpu be 64 bit too? also how will the new 64 bit processors affect the computing world. i jus got a p4 2.4ghz C system and i hate to see it go totally obselete in a matter of months.

relax - your shining new CPU won't become out of date the second 64-bit CPUs appear.

I should expect that 64-bit will primarily effect the server market mostly, and will only trickle down to desktop level after some time. Although there are some operating systems already available for these chips (windows 2000, linux, etc) there aren't a lot of apps yet. 64-bit will become the standard one day - thats for sure - but it will take quite some time.

If you have the cash, maybe you should. But don't expect the first venture into 64-bit to be some kind of wonderful walk in the park. Unless you load it with a 64-bit version of an operating system, its not really going to do anything cool at all. True 64-bit computing needs to be supported from processor to OS to application, and its not as simple as getting some kind of all round superior CPU. Understand what 64-bit processing is before you go out and spend money on it.

64-bit computing is not new. There's been 64-bit processors permitted to work with NT 4.0.

Certainly, your games will not start to run faster or anything, because they are not coded for 64-bit. The processor working in 32-bit mode is probably little different than your current one is. But you will pay for it. There are some 64-bit versions of existing games, but you could probably count those on one hand.

ATTENTION ALL GAMES PLAYERS - Do not bother. If you have money to burn on your machine, get it loads of RAM, a faster 32-bit processor, and a fast HDD (with large cache and 7,200 RPMS, even build RAID 0, etc.) Don't think you have to go 64-bit because you don't. Not for a while. Not until its a mandatory requirement for gaming (as having a pentium used to be for gaming at one point, when many of us had 486s) should you go out and shop for one. Unless you have FAR TOO MUCH MONEY and have no clue what you want to spend on it.

However, people with servers might want to think about it, if they really think it through.

As I said, my advice to anyone wanting to upgrade their PCs (who are the sort of people who generally post on this site) is to spend the cash elsewhere, where I am sure you will get a far higher return right now.

which no games in current production (that i know off) support advanced 64 bit processing (HL 2, Doom 3, etc don't) - i do know that the Unreal Tech engine has been upgraded to 64bit - and that it is rumoured that the 64bit upgrade will ship with UT2004 (but is obviously not mandatory)

Steg

Oh, don't think for a minute I'm saying that 64-bit isn't comming. It is. But I don't think that anyone here will get anything like their money's worth from it right now. Maybe in 18 months. Right now, please believe me when I say that your money will be better spent elsewhere. Wait for 64-bit to really take off like the Pentium did. When that happens, it will be worth it, and you should ALL upgrade to it. But its not at that stage right now. You are not going to know where your money has gone, I think.

Yeah, you are all probably going to start hearing a lot of this type of stuff about 64-bit soon. Try to take it in your stride and not get washed away with it. These CPU manufacturers want you to go out and pay a fortune for this stuff as soon as its released. But IMHO, its not yet at the stage where you should be thinking about that just yet.

All this really means is that 64-bit is comming, but that's no reason to go out and buy another CPU tomorrow morning. Try to put all of this into perspective and think about it for what it really is.

When this technology really matures, I think we are going to see some wonderful things. In a couple of years, I think you will get games with as good quality graphics almost as in films like "Matrix Reloaded" and so forth. Its going to be really good but don't rush out and buy the first one you hear about. This will all take at least some time.

Originally posted by Phantasm66
Not until its a mandatory requirement for gaming (as having a pentium used to be for gaming at one point, when many of us had 486s) should you go out and shop for one. Unless you have FAR TOO MUCH MONEY and have no clue what you want to spend on it.

There was a time where everything great that was happening with the PC was the Pentium. We started to see really interesting, new and advanced games like Tomb Raider starting to appear, and people were first talking about active desktop IE4. It was a sort of transition time.

There came a time were you HAD to have a Pentium, no matter what. No matter how much I had to save, how hard it was to get the cash, I needed that new mobo, CPU and RAM.....

....Wait until you feel that way about 64-bit to buy it. Wait until everything interesting that's happening at all is happening there, then buy it. And I think it will be great then.

When that time comes, its allure will be completely unavoidable. Jump on the wagon then. And until then, please wait. I know that I certain am.

I certainly won't be jumping in straight away, but thats mainly due to lack of cash. I'll probably hold off until near the end of 2004, as by that time you'll need a really fast cpu to feed your graphics card with data.

Apparantly, Half Life 2 was coded with many more polygons than the version that is being released, and was slimmed down to enable current hardware to run it at decent frame rates.

Its always chicken & egg for games developers who can't target platforms that don't have the power required to run their games.

Another reason for no rushing out and buying immediately is that its going to take time before there are enough 64 bit applications on the market to make upgrading worthwhile. However, as these CPUs will also run 32 bit apps, then I'd still consider them if the price is right.

If you've got the cash to splash, then go ahead, I would, its really only cost that will hold most consumers from jumping in right away.

yes, these processors still run in 32-bit mode, but I expect that their performance is similar to current 32-bit processors in that respect. You don't really see anything exciting until you have a 64-bit OS, 64-bit apps, etc.

This time is coming, but its not going to be overnight.

anandtech

did a recent 5 day review on the subject..............about a 30% increase in performance on the raw side.............even anand himself was immpressed..........but, i myself would also wait..................i like staying behind the curve..............from an economic and common sense approach to new technology

Yeah, don't just jump on it there at the first mention of the number 64. Wait a while and see what happens.

Originally posted by Phantasm66
In a couple of years, I think you will get games with as good quality graphics almost as in films like "Matrix Reloaded" and so forth.

Well, the JPEG version as opposed to the Bitmap one. ;)

But 64-bit will likely bring increased levels of photo-realism to games, given time.

Like everyone has pointed out, 64 bit applications and games won't be available in quantity for at least one more year and that means you won't take advantage of (or use at all) the new processor features HOWEVER, if you buy a new AMD processor next year it's most likely it will be an Athlon 64...

The real hype behind this CPU is that it's an 32/64 bit hybrid and can run current (32bit) applications at full speed because it'll be native to the processor... if AMD wouldn't exist and Intel would be at command like a decade ago they would most likely move straight to 64-bit (like shown in their older roadmaps), first to the server market and slowly to the end-user, for running 32bit apps these CPUs would need a wrapper of some sort hence running them slower (in theory) than a native 32 bit CPU... Athlon 64 can do both natively.

Of course, Intel has most likely updated their roadmaps and is developing a similar hybrid processor to challenge the A64, thing is, they are still a few years behind... but, you know what those guys are capable of.

When I buy a 64-bit processor, which I guess will be in about 1 year to 18 months from now, I am almost sure that it will be an Athlon64.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back