64bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 630 p4 and a Gigabyte GA-8I915G-MF i915G, how do I know if im running 64bit? Is it the operating system that make you run in 64bit?

No its ur type of processor. Only Pentium 4 660 Series and AMD Athlon 64 series CPUs are 64-bit and only Windows XP x64 Edition can take advantage of this feature.

Oh i'm sorry my mistake. The entire 6 series has 64-bit support. U'll need to run Windows XP x64 Professional to take advantage of it though. Alternatively u can use a few versions of Linux available like SuSE SL9.1 and SLES9 and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3(with Update 2).

Well another good question is how much does a copy of Xp 64 cost and where can I find it I dont believe Ive seen it on New Egg

yeah, all pentium 6xx are 64bit. YOu do need 64bit OS to run it at 64bit. You can check to see if your cpu is 64bit capable by just using cpuid and it should say x86-64bit or emt64 something along that line.

64-bit basically is not 'faster' as such, but it allows for larger memory configurations to be recognized by the CPU. Processors without this technology can recognize only upto 4 GB of RAM. But processors with this technology can recognize upto 32 TB of memory. But note that the maximum amount of memory in a PC is limited by the motherboard chipset(where the memory controller circuit resides) and the number of memory sockets available on the motherboard.
The difference in speed of these CPUs to older CPUs is due to new technology like(but not limited to) SpeedStep in Intel and HyperTransport in AMD.

Unfortunately, Windows XP x64 Edition is not commercially available standalone. Its available pre-installed on systems from Dell and Alienware, among others. Thats as far as I know.

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
Unfortunately, Windows XP x64 Edition is not commercially available standalone. Its available pre-installed on systems from Dell and Alienware, among others. Thats as far as I know.

actually, u are wrong on that. I am not going to say u can got to the store and buy it yet but I do know you can buy it from Microsft, and am not to sure u could not go to the store and buy it today as it has not been out long.

I have a copy of x64. Is very hard to find drivers for. It wont run alot of software, and it is slow with what does work.

Intel traded AMD SSE3 for AMDx64 and call it EM64T, so now devolpment of software can realy start. Windows Vista will be a 64bit OS.

Here it is at Newegg,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102034
Do not buy it!

Fan boys have been touting this "feature" for years now, but it is still basicly useless. SSE3 didn't help AMD much eather as Hyper threading makes it work better. We all win with it this way. Some day it will be usefull, and desktop motherboards will be able to have more than 4gb of memory. Just not yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back