6600GT 256mb gaming problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mokaboy

Hi

I recently bought a 6600GT 256mb AGP model and cant get it to run any game without it freezing apart from call of duty the original.

Games it will crash on

Call of duty 2
FEAR
World of Warcraft

It seems to work for like 2-5mins on these games and then will just freeze meaning i have to reset the computer.

I upgraded from a Radeon 9200 which ran all these titles without any problems?

I have updated drivers from the site and have also tried older ones and Omega ones.

Any help would be great.

Moka :wave:

Hi

Well i did check gpu temp and it was around 45 oC idle if i can remember right (not on pc atm) i can remember it saying it will warn me if it gets to around 150 (if i remember rightly again).

Erm my psu wattage is... 450w cant remember the make atm ill get that asap

i never had any problems with the 9200 though :s

CPU temp has always been fine im sure of that. ill also get this though asap.

I think it crashes because of
A) The video card overheating.
B) Ur PSU not providing enough juice to the card.
The card temps seem ok but thats the idle temp. Under stress, it will generate much more heat. Try keeping the case off for a while and then try running CoD 2. If it doesn't crash then its definitely an overheating problem.

6600gt Sli

mokaboy said:
Hi

I recently bought a 6600GT 256mb AGP model and cant get it to run any game without it freezing apart from call of duty the original.

Moka :wave:

I GOT THE SAME PROBLEM I GOT THE 6600GT SLI

WHAT IS HAPPENING THE COMPUTER IS CRASHING WHILE PLAYING THE GAME THE PSU I CURRENTLY GOT IS A 35OW AND I NEED TO KNOW DO I NEED TO CHANGE THIS AS I AM ALS RUNNING A SATA HDD, 2 D/L DVD RAM DRIVES, 4 FANS, AMD 64 3200+ 839 SOCKET AND THE FLOPPY DRIVE.

THE COMPUTER IS TURNING OFF RANDOMLY DRURING GAMES LIKE NFS MOST WANTED, COUNTER STRIKE, COUNTER STRIKE SOURCE, DOOM 3

THESE ARE ALL RUNNING ON THE HIGHEST GRAPHICS SETTINGS

SOME ONE PLESE HELP!!

THANKS

As I said before, try and replace ur PSU if u have a spare one somewhere. If that doesn't do it for ya, its probably the card overheating. But I personally think its the PSU. BTW, by SLI do u mean u have 2 of those cards in SLI? If so then yes, u will definitely need a new PSU and thats the source of ur problem.

Yeah when i say sli i mean that you are abe to have 2 cards but i am currently running 1 card. Before i thought that it might be a problem with overheating becuase the computer was crashing but now i have read some threads and it seems that this is leading to a problem with the graphics card.

Do you recomend any PSU's that i should use?

How would i find out if the card is over heating and how would i be able to solve this problem?

Download SpeedFan from the link I have given a few posts above and use it to give me ur CPU and GPU temps. Then we'll talk PSUs. High temps can be solved by attaching new fans. First get me the temps.

well to be honest i dont see why the gfx card would run call of duty for hours perfectly and not run call of duty 2 (crash freeze etc) and it be a power issue?

Anyway, i suppose ill look into the PSU.

Thanks
Moka

Well CoD is far more demanding than the original. So more power is needed by the card to utilize the advanced features to render the details.

Results

THE RESULTS THAT I AM GETTING FROM SPEED FAN ARE:

FAN 1: 879 RPM
FAN 2: 1250 RPM
FAN 3: 0 RPM
FAN 1: 3759 RPM
FAN 2: 0 RPM

TEMP 1: 30C BUS: ISA
TEMP 2: 32C BUS: ISA
TEMP 3: 24C BUS: ISA

TEMP: 127C BUS: nForce2 SMBus
TEMP: 127C BUS: nForce2 SMBus
TEMP 1: 50C BUS: I2NVidia SMBUS
TEMP 2: 31C BUS: I2NVidia SMBus

HD0: 34C BUS: SMART
TEMP 1: 40C BUS: ISA

CAN SOME ONE PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON THESE ARE THE RESULTS FROM FAN SPEED AS YOU ASKED

Ur video card temps seem okay IMO. Can u get me the voltage readings as well? BTW ur mobo temps seem too hot!!! 127C??!!! Anywayz, I don't know much about that so I'll leave that to other guys. But just get me ur voltage values so we can find out if its ur PSU that's causing the problem.

could it cause damage to my MoBo with the temp being that high?

what can i do about it? becuase i dnt want it to fry up on me.

i will get the voltage results tomorow nt on the computer at the moment.

I don't exactly know if its ur mobo temps for sure. But 127C is a hell of a high temperature. Water boils at 100C! Another way to see if the mobo is okay is to check out the capacitors(those small cylinders) on it. If any are bulging or have holes, ur mobo is gonna die soon.

Just thought id throw a post here.

Just installed water cooling into my system and downloaded speed fan to check the temps. now everything is pretty much running at 30C (cpu, both gpu's and chipset) apart from the SMbus which speedfan also reports at 127C.

now i know for a fact its no where near that temperature, so it must be a bug of some sort. If it helps heres the system specs:

AMD 3200+ venice
1 gig crucial
2*80gig baracuda's in raid0
asus A8N SLi deluxe mobo
2* 6800GTs
Enermax 650W PSU
asetek waterchill watercooling.

p.s 1 vid card = not so much heat, 2 vid cards in SLi = much more heat, the confined space makes for a pocket of dead air below the 1st card and above the 2nd. so one card will always be hotter. But i reckon your problem lies with drivers. With the latest nvidia drivers my system crashes in EQ2, CS:S and many other games. The drivers i found that were stable were Forceware 84.21.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back