6800gt OH.....over heat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi my graphics card (eVGA 6800gt) is overheating like crazy. Its idle temp is 70c, and plays games at 100c-120c. The threshold is 135, but only age of empires 3 exceeds that. I managed to play Oblivion for six hours one day, and it didnt ever reach the threshold.
I was thinking about updating the drivers, or getting a new GPU fan (an arctic silencer, i heard they work).
My friend has talked to people, and they said that the 6800 is a hot chip in general, and that eVGA is a bad brand. Too bad he didnt tell me before i bought it ;( .

I could use any good info, thanks.

Getting a new CPU fan is a good idea. Make sure you apply the thermal paste correctly (too much is bad). Bear in mind the Arctic Silencer will take up one additional PCI slot (if the current card doesn't).

There are better GPU coolers out there, but the Arctic Silencer rates among the best.

thats a good idea, but why the cpu? or did u mean "gpu"? or are u saying put a cpu fan on the gpu? i dont think that would work

i mean my cpu is fine, its a AMD 64 3500+, which runs whatever i need just fine.

Sorry, I did mean GPU. If we should put CPU fans on GPUs, that'll be great! But think of the space the GPU'll need....

I'll be waiting for the day graphic cards go obsolete. The same way slot CPU's went obsolete :D. We'll be getting our ATI's and nVidias in chips, and we'll have slots for GDDR RAM. Fully customizeable! Not to mention you can use huge *** heatsinks on too. The Video port should be built into the m/b...

CMH said:
Sorry, I did mean GPU. If we should put CPU fans on GPUs, that'll be great! But think of the space the GPU'll need....

I'll be waiting for the day graphic cards go obsolete. The same way slot CPU's went obsolete :D. We'll be getting our ATI's and nVidias in chips, and we'll have slots for GDDR RAM. Fully customizeable! Not to mention you can use huge *** heatsinks on too. The Video port should be built into the m/b...
It will plug into your brain!!! *twilight zone theme*

And we'll all live inside our computer cases, plugged into the computer, being fed by a built-in expresso machine.

I have the excact same problem with mine. My gpu *7800gt* keeps overheating. My moniter starts going crazy and a second after that my computer will just die causing me to restart. When I restart all the pixels will be screwed up. I have liquid cooling but unfortunately not hooked up to my gpu. The idle speed is about 113 degrees fahrenheit. Please help. I'm lucky I could even get on the interent without it freezing up on me.

Edit- Funny thing. I just checked and I have a eVGA brand gpu also. A day after I got my 7800 the 7900 came out. I have some bad luck with computers. Maybe I'm just stupid.

Same issue

I had a Sparkle 6800GT which caused the motherboard to produce an irritating overheating noise.
This card broke after 6 months and was not able to be repaired.
Today, I got my replacement - a Gainward 6800GS.
When running 3DBenchmark - got the overheating noise back.

I ran Speedfan, and I'm getting an idle temp reading of 128 C.

I also have had to clip an external fan on the open sided case.

What replacement gpu fan should solve this if any?
Would HDD fans make a difference? Mine now get very hot.

I have also tried instalkling a 500W PSU with a 'big fan' - at least this does no longer get hot.

Cheers,
Ian.

Hmmm, I would've said your card isn't getting enough power, but you say you now have a 500w PSU. You do have the card connected to the PSU, don't you? 'Cause you need to do that with 6800GT's, and after this you should have no worries. I am running a 6800GT right here, and I have a big heatsink, fans are working great and my case has a grill for air to get in and my card is still running at 60-66 degrees celcius idle. One thing is certain:that idle temp is way too hot.

I'd still get a high quality 500W... Maybe even more. To run a computer with as little problems (or possible problems), you should always get high quality components. I've never compromised, and I've never got problems with my computer.

I suppose I also never upgraded my comp (other than extra RAM/HDD/DVDRW) so I don't have issues running new components on old hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back