680i Motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi... this is my first day in the forum =D im sure you guys are a good group of individuals and i am happy to be a part of this forum.

I am building a new computer and play 1st person shooter games at low resolutions but i would like AA and other visual enhancements ran.

According to TomsHardware Benchmarks an ATI X1950 Crossfire Edition outperformed the Nvidia 8800GTX at low resolutions by a very large margin on hl2.

So based on what i will be using it for a Crossfire setup will be better suited for me. But with DX10 comming out soon, i wanna be prepared to jump over to nvidia in a few years without having to replace my motherboard.

I also want a x6800 intel duo core extreme processor

based on some preliminary research, i have came to the conclusion that 680i boards are great but i would like to run an ATI card for the moment.
Can i successfully run a crossfire setup on a 680i motherboard?

Nope. Can't do it.

You have to choose a board that either supports crossfire or SLI. One or the other. The 680i chipset is made by Nvidia and only supports SLI. You can of course use a single ATI gpu with the 680i chipset, but you can not configure two ATI cards into a crossfire config.

You could find modded drivers running SLI on ANY (including crossfire ones) chipset (and thus have sli + crossfire) - ofcourse, without any guarentee or anything, but it's worth a try =). However, it won't with with a 7950GX2, let alone anything newer (like a 8800 card).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back