7 pin vs 4 pin (svideo)

Status
Not open for further replies.

puck_andy

Ok, someone asked me about the differences between these video output slots, and for the life of me I couldn't find information about the differences anywhere on the net. Anybody know a site? I'm pretty sure that 7 pin would be superior, but what do I know. Thanks in advance.:grinthumb

Code:
/------\ 
| 3  4 |
|1    2|
\  --  /
 ------

1 = Luminance ground
2 = Chrominance ground
3 = Luminance (Y) + sync
4 = Chrominance (C)
That's the standard Y/C connector, also known as S-VHS connector. Those 7-pin ones are non-standard and may vary between manufacturers, so it's not that simple to tell what they are. Sometimes the three pins carry composite signals or some control signals but usually they can be ignored.

Just to get one post more, I say that there's no visible difference in picture quality. 7-pin ones aren't superior because they're often incompatible - those extra pins need to be removed usually.

Thanks a lot.

I was kind of confused when the guy asked me that. Mictlantecuhtli, you are a life saver. Thanks for the info.:p

the 7-pin vs. 4-pin question

I was looking at my laptop yesterday, and I noticed that the output for s-video is a 7-pin... But I've plugged in a 4-pin before, and the video came out fine.

In response to your question, I also looked online, for almost an hour, and found absolutely nothing that actually stated the difference between the two.

Your best bet, and what I'm going to do first thing monday, is call up my laptop's manufacturer (dell) and ask what the difference is. I'm assuming that the 7-pin is made with some sort of upgradability, or maybe just so that people will have to buy adapters?
Couldn't really tell you, but, like you said, the 7-pin must be better (why would there be more pins, right?)

The 7-pin version carries the composite signal in addition to the S-Video signal. The 4-pin can only do S-Video output. When S-Video is concerned, the 7-pin and 4-pin are compatible and you can mix connectors no problem.

oops... lol... wow, that 7-pin must-ve been around for an extremely long time I guess...
Anyways.... wow, that is one hell of an old question than...

For nodSU, how is that composite thing useful? How does it work, and do I have to buy some sort of comverter? I actually saw that last night, but I didn't know what the use was in a composite video output, when s-video itself is better anyways. (?)

Most devices use composite video (one (yellow) RCA jack), S-Video is something you find on more expensive gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back