7600GS good deal? also PSU concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Symbolite

Hi, ive been looking for a new video card for a while now, ive done alot of searching and ive found the below video card. Is this a good deal?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2484227&CatId=935

Now i don't think my PSU can handle this as you can see below in the stats ive posted.

eMachines T3256
Graphics Interface - PCI and AGP
CPU - AMD Athlon XP
CPU Speed - 2.2 GHz
Power Supply Make/Model - Bestec ATX-300-12E REV D
Watt output/Amperage - +12V/15A 300W Max.

So how many amps am i looking for on a new PSU? Also i know quality is a big issue among PSU's so i was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction to a couple reliable company's or even post some links to some PSU's. My budget on the PSU is $50 max preferabley.

Thats about it, thanks for the help.

Bump the power supply up to a quality 450 watt supply. That card should work fine, and your very lucky that your eMachines is still running... You might increase your system memory while you're at it. Good luck

Symbolite said:
Hi, ive been looking for a new video card for a while now, ive done alot of searching and ive found the below video card. Is this a good deal?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2484227&CatId=935

Now i don't think my PSU can handle this as you can see below in the stats ive posted.

eMachines T3256
Graphics Interface - PCI and AGP
CPU - AMD Athlon XP
CPU Speed - 2.2 GHz
Power Supply Make/Model - Bestec ATX-300-12E REV D
Watt output/Amperage - +12V/15A 300W Max.

So how many amps am i looking for on a new PSU? Also i know quality is a big issue among PSU's so i was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction to a couple reliable company's or even post some links to some PSU's. My budget on the PSU is $50 max preferabley.

Thats about it, thanks for the help.

Yeah that isn't a too bad deal. Re: the PSU though, the 7600GS really isn't a power hungry GPU, so I wouldnt bother getting a new one. It is getting very old now, and will only really run games from last generation and prior to last generation (Battlefield 2, Half Life 2 etc). You should be able to run the GS fine with your 300 watt. If an 8800GTX will run on a 450 watt, a 7600GS should have no problems on a 300 watt. :)

That PSU is good, but you may want to think twice, as the fan is on top of the PSU, and most cases don't have an open top.

ya, i don't have an open top case. This computer was bought in summer of 2004 so its 4 years old now. I didn't know eMachines had so much trouble with their PSU's, must be a miracle then that mine is still working fine.

On a new PSU how many Amp's am i looking for on the 12V rail? Right now thats unclear to me and im just searching for anything that higher than 15A, but not sure how much higher i need to go.

Also i found this PSU, let me know what you all think of it...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371005

It's an eMachines Bestec supply that 4 years old... Replace it ASAP and just hope the motherboard doesn't die after you spend the money for this minor upgrade. Money could be more wisely spent on a new system Your poor motherboard and CPU, lack of much system memory will naturally hender good gameplay. That Antec power supply will do fine. Don't even worry about the 12V rail please...

aznn3rd said:
That PSU is good, but you may want to think twice, as the fan is on top of the PSU, and most cases don't have an open top.

Open top what? Almost all cases have an air space between the top of the ATX power supply and the case top. Thiis air space is enough to allow the top power supply fan to move air... No kidding!

Ok, the Antec PSU looks good. Still can't beleive my whole computer was in so much trouble with the bestec PSU that came with the eMachine haha. So i will probably get that 7600GS i posted earlier and then buy Antec PSU i also posted.

All i have to say is thank goodness the Bestec didn't kill my PC yet, i got alot of hardware i bought over these last few years.

Symbolite, you did get good use out of that system. Did the Bestec power supply fail on its own? Or did you just replace it? Good lock with the upgrade. Are you running at least 1GB of system memory? Most eMachines run 512MB or less

Back to the video card... Im running a passive cooled 7600gs and its a great card thats performing very well in all my games.
Ive also got it overcl****ed and using a fan in the side door to keep it cool but its doing well regardless.

Im also running an emachine system that was given to me that had a bad psu which I had to replace.

Mine is a pentium D 3ghz with 2gb ddr2 667 ram.

Good luck with your upgrade Symbolite!

Tmagic650 said:
Symbolite, you did get good use out of that system. Did the Bestec power supply fail on its own? Or did you just replace it? Good lock with the upgrade. Are you running at least 1GB of system memory? Most eMachines run 512MB or less

Oh no the Bestec never failed, ive never had a problem with it. The whole reason for this upgrade is because i want to be able to play some games but i don't have the $$ to get a new PC. So i figure id do this small upgrade and then get a new PC in like 2 years, once this technology is totally obsolete. I definatly need a PC with Pci express slots haha. All i have is an AGP here.

Also yes i have 1 GB system memory. That was the first thing i upgraded when i bought this PC 4 years ago lol.

Thanks for all the help.

That was a great thing to do Symbolite, to replace the power supply before it failed. Your whole eMachines could have been trash a while ago. Hopefully the motherboard will hold up for you.

Symbolite, if youre running agp you could get a x1950pro agp card which should last you awhile and are selling for under $150 in many places.

Ive got one in my P4 3.4 @ 3.8 system and it runs games very well....

Hey Tmagic, hope to see you more onsite...

How does the x1950pro agp compare to 7600GS? im not familiar with ATI graphic cards. I can't seem to find any comparisions between the 2 cards on google either.

X1950pro is substancially faster than the 7600gs.

You could also look at the 7600gt,7800gt and 7800gs if you can find them for agp.

Neweggs openbox area is a good place to look for older agp cards.

Tomshardware has some good VGA performance charts but googling the X1950pro should show you its performance on various games.

It depends alot on what resolutions you use.

If you dont run above 1280 much a 7600gs is a great choice but if you run 1600 or better a x1950pro or 7600gt would be a better choice.

Good luck, CC

My Radeon HD2600 Pro AGP 8X was $99 at Newegg with 1920x1200 resolution. CPU power and system memory/motherboard can affect gameplay as much as the video card. With my current XP setup, I can play Bioshock, Crysis and COD4 smoothly. I am going to increase my memory to 2 GB and replace the Celeron D with a Core 2 Quad 6600 tomorrow. A motherboard upgrade might be in the near future, but that means ditching the Radeon AGP card for a PCIEx16 video card

Thats a good card for you Tmagic.

I went with a 7600gs in my new system but Im running a x1950pro in my older agp system.

I always overclock my video cards though...

Well im no hardcore gamer and i don't think ive ever run my res higher than 1024, maybe id up it to 1280. I guess the 7600GS will be fine because i'd like to keep the bill cheap haha.

I looked over on newegg, i think this is the exact same card?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130076
as this
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2484227&CatId=933

if so i just might grab it off newegg, $4 cheaper warrenty :D,
Edit: Newegg shipping is like $2-$3 dollars cheaper aswell lol.

Im the same way as I rarely game above 1280 so the 7600gs works great and runs very cool.
They also overclock pretty well if you ever need it.

Looks like you found yourself a card,good luck!

Thanks, one final question, is it a good idea to get a warrenty on a PSU? The Antec has a $20 2 year warrenty.

But Why............

Symbolite said:
Thanks, one final question, is it a good idea to get a warrenty on a PSU? The Antec has a $20 2 year warrenty.
I thought Antec PSUs came a three year warranty anyway. At least mine did ,(Smartpower 350) which they were happy to honor when it broke. If that would extend it to 5 years you'll probably have moved on anyway.

http://www.antec.com/warranty_info.php?AQ=AQ3&value=en&Submit=Submit

Nevermind, I had what I thought was a brilliant idea, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130062 Then I realized I was thinking in PCI-E. Sorry.

P.S. If in doubt, >ALWAYS< buy something from Newegg.

lol for a second there you got me all excited, then i saw the card you posted is PCI Express. My MB only has an AGP slot. I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back