7900GT problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

hewybo

Put together a new box, with E6600, ASUS P5N-SLI, and an XFX 7900GT.Three or four times a day, it shuts itself down, with a graphics card error. I have moved hardware acceleration throughout the range, and have tried all three different sets of drivers I could find, all with the same result.

Has anybody had this problem? Could it be the chipset on this board? These shutdowns happen regardless of processor load- often even when idling. ASUS support is no help, and XFX has not responded. Any ideas?

Thanks-:confused: :knock:

hewybo said:
Put together a new box, with E6600, ASUS P5N-SLI, and an XFX 7900GT.Three or four times a day, it shuts itself down, with a graphics card error. I have moved hardware acceleration throughout the range, and have tried all three different sets of drivers I could find, all with the same result.

Has anybody had this problem? Could it be the chipset on this board? These shutdowns happen regardless of processor load- often even when idling. ASUS support is no help, and XFX has not responded. Any ideas?

Thanks-:confused: :knock:
Well... graphics card error probably means graphics card error as in something's wrong with your graphics card =).

But before you replace it or something, borrow a card from a friend or something to first test to make sure it's the graphics card. Then you replace it/return it/w.e.

that video card draws quite a bit of power. what are the specs of your power supply (brand, amperage ratings, total wattage)? check to make sure that the card's cooler is working properly and that the GPU is not overheating. go into the event log (start>control panel>administrative tools>event viewer) and look for your error reports. if found, list the error code.

error code not found

zephead said:
that video card draws quite a bit of power. what are the specs of your power supply (brand, amperage ratings, total wattage)? check to make sure that the card's cooler is working properly and that the GPU is not overheating. go into the event log (start>control panel>administrative tools>event viewer) and look for your error reports. if found, list the error code.

I am using an Antec Smartpower 2.0 500W with 17A and 19A on the 12V rails, respectively. I've been having so many problems with this card- I haven't put any kind of load on it til I get it worked out. Using NVidia's software, the graphics GPU temps are nominal.

Can't find anything in Window's event viewer specific to the problem (?!?!), but when the error report is sent to M$, it says " a thread is hung in the device driver." It then goes on to say I should install the latest driver. I have installed the latest from XFX's site, the earlier one that came on the install CD, and the latest from NVidia's site. Same problem with each. Have set hardware acceleration to the lowest setting, no help. I'm thinking I got a bad card. If I had been doing serious gaming, and all this happened, I might suspect the PSU, but surely it is adequate for idling this card.

Thanks for all ideas:confused: :hotbounce

yes, the card would be a likely cause for this problem. i would try swapping out video cards and see if that fixes the problem. if it does, then you have isolated the problem.

XFX agreed for a minute-

XFX said it sounded like the card, alright, til they found out I'm using a Soundblaster (X-Fi Extreme Music)- now they say it could be an IRQ conflict. I've looked everywhere at M$'s troubleshooting kb's, and can find nothing that applies. Windows (every time) says a "thread is stuck in the device driver." That says to me it's in the card, but before I raise hell with XFX, I wanted to see if anyone here thinks it sounds like the interrupts are crossed.

Thanks again-:hotbounce

I seriously doubt that the X-Fi is conflicting with the gfx. It does sound like a bad card but, have you competely uninstalled the old driver prior to installing the new driver? Sometimes, when you try to install a new gfx driver over the old one, some files will conflict with new ones. If you have completely uninstalled the old drivers prior to installing the updated one, then it's definitely a bad card.

Do what Agi_shi & rage said about getting a card from a friend and see if it works, Also what is the watt for your PSU? The 7900 needs like 500w minimum to run

Not yet

sghiznaneck said:
I seriously doubt that the X-Fi is conflicting with the gfx. It does sound like a bad card but, have you competely uninstalled the old driver prior to installing the new driver? Sometimes, when you try to install a new gfx driver over the old one, some files will conflict with new ones. If you have completely uninstalled the old drivers prior to installing the updated one, then it's definitely a bad card.

Yes, always a complete uninstall. I live in a retirement village- amid the multitude of eMachines and BestBuy Dells, I bet there ain't even ONE other PCI-E slot, thus no cards to borrow.

And- paradox- read above- 500W Antec- plenty of 12V rail.

Just trying to anticipate XFX's next excuse. Thanks, guys.:)

Yeah-one-but

blue_dragon said:
have you tried different games or 3d tests such as directx ?

Ran 3Dmark06, and saw no artifacts, etc., but I have all the settings at the bottom just to keep the system up and running, so I think that is inconclusive. It'll reboot just idling, so the card doesn't need any stress, and it shuts me down anyway.

What are your temps, some video cards that run hot tend to cause random reboots and system crashes.
cheers
hynesy

scroll up

hynesy said:
What are your temps, some video cards that run hot tend to cause random reboots and system crashes.
cheers
hynesy

read above- GPU temps are nominal.

if you suspect a resource conflict (which are rare in this day and age), you can test this theory simply by uninstalling additional hardware from the system.

Yup

zephead said:
if you suspect a resource conflict (which are rare in this day and age), you can test this theory simply by uninstalling additional hardware from the system.

Yah- same result with X-Fi removed- and it's the only other card in the box. Now to make XFX pay up!!:mad:

Yes it looks bad to me, I'd probably RMA and get a replacement. You powersupply is great for your hardware, even so, it could be bad. See what a new card does first.

Yeah, If the card runs perfect then you might upgrade your PSU just incase, Dont want the system going :hotouch: & :hotbounce ;)

Info

TimeParadoX said:
Yeah, If the card runs perfect then you might upgrade your PSU just incase, Dont want the system going :hotouch: & :hotbounce ;)

My system requirements at full load with TWO 7900GT's is 320W actual. Antec generally runs at 75-80% efficiency, but let's assume 70%. That is still 350W AT FULL LOAD with SLI. This problem is occurring at idle with a single card. I will worry about PSU when there is any possibility it is the culprit.

your power supply is fine. the efficiency is something like 70% or better. i have the same model and have used them in countless builds.

I was wrong---

Turns out the boys at XFX were right after all. Though I did have one crash (origin unknown-Windows "didn't know what the cause was") after removing the X-Fi card, I re-installed it in a different slot at the suggestion of the Creative staff. Changed the IRQ assignment, and the system has been flawless since.

It's a good thing that slot cured things, as my P5NSLI only has two PCI slots. I eat my words, and I guess we can close this thread.

I leave this session with the appropriate egg on my face as I baste the crow for dinner!:blush: :unch: :dead:

LOL that happens on more than one occasion to everyone. Good luck to ya!:grinthumb

P.S.->Can I come over for dinner? ;)

Bulls***

I withdraw everything! I am pi**ed!! It started again. The crow is gonna be strangled and placed on XFX's doorstep. It closed in the middle of a couple critical sessions, and I've lost some irretrievable data. Where are the lawyers? I'm gonna sue somebody's *** off. Batten down the hatches- we all know what happens when a German gets pissed!:hotbounce :hotbounce :evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back