8800GT Fan speed settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamree

I am just about ready to upgrade my video card to an 8800gt, but I definitely know that I'm going to have to change the stock fan settings of the card in order to maintain a decent temperature. I'm planning on using Rivatuner 2.06 to do this, so my question is, which would be better for the card? Setting a constant fan speed (such as 60% no matter what) or having the fan speed fluctuate with the temperature (such as 60% speed at 75 degrees, 85% speed at 90 degrees, and 100% at 100 degrees)? And by the way, I was just throwing out numbers at random, so those wouldn't be what I would plan on setting them to.

it is better for the life of the card if the fan speeds vary. I can tell you from experience the 8800gt fan is quite loud you would not want it constantly spinning at high rpms even when you are not playing games.

Also i am currently using default fan speeds with no problems, it is a little bit hot but nothing risky so far. Although my case does have great airflow

My greatest worry is that my case does not have a cooler and is just basically going directly off of the card's fans. I'm not sure if my case has great airflow (I think it does), but thank you for your advice, it is much appreciated.

Is there a reason you can't or don't want to install one or two case fans for better air circulation? I would wait a bit before replacing the stock graphics card heatsink/fan to be sure the card works. You could be voiding the warranty on the card.

Before I replaced the stock cooler what was easiest for me was to use the low-level fan control in RivaTuner and set it at 40% for surfing the net,etc and 60% (or whatever noise you can tolerate) for 3D.
It takes like 10 seconds to switch it back and forth.

mailpup said:
Is there a reason you can't or don't want to install one or two case fans for better air circulation? I would wait a bit before replacing the stock graphics card heatsink/fan to be sure the card works. You could be voiding the warranty on the card.
This is recommended if you replace the cooler or not. The card throws all the heat into your case. I use 2x80mm exhaust at the rear of my case.

I am just about ready to upgrade my video card to an 8800gt, but I definitely know that I'm going to have to change the stock fan settings of the card in order to maintain a decent temperature. I'm planning on using Rivatuner 2.06 to do this, so my question is, which would be better for the card? Setting a constant fan speed (such as 60% no matter what) or having the fan speed fluctuate with the temperature (such as 60% speed at 75 degrees, 85% speed at 90 degrees, and 100% at 100 degrees)? And by the way, I was just throwing out numbers at random, so those wouldn't be what I would plan on setting them to.

hi im new in this forum, i got 2 xfx 8800gt alpha dog edition video card, 1 of my card i can control the fan speed via the nvidia programs, the other card the fan speed is fixed at 29%, ive manadge to rig a manual powered fan controller to my stock video card fan, and has of now i can manualy control the fan speed, even if the fan itself only as 2 wires.

ive made a ticket on the nvidia site, and after a few post and reply it looks like there going to send me a variable fan for my video card if they still have them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back