8800GTS on AsRock 775DUAL-VSTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain828

can anyone pls test to see if the 8800GTS works on the AsRock 775DUAL-VSTA and yeah, I know the PCI-Express on this board is only x4

Can't test it, but from what I've read about the GTS & the GTX, they require a pci-e 16X slot to really maximize the cards performance.

Yeah I know that, but I really have to know if I'm spending money on a 8800GTS and it fits my (transition) mobo
I know that this mobo sucks really bad (at 50 bucks...), but I'll buy one later (when I'll have enough money for a 2GB DDR2 kit + ASUS 680i mobo)

It will work. As you've noted you will be hampered a bit by the 4x, but it will still work as far as I know. I've got one of those boards too because I didn't want to toss out my $300 AGP 7800GS, luckily for me the AGP isn't crippled.

Just a bit of advice, this card is gonna take up two pci slots because it's so huge. One for the intake and one for the exhaust.

@chuck Antec TruePower 650W ;)

Thanks for advices so far, but can someone ACTUALLY TEST IT?
I wouldn't like to buy a 600$ GPU and then just look at it...

Personal opinion:

I wouldn't waste money buying the 8800GTS on that system. These graphics cards are MONSTERS and require extremely fast systems in order to make full use of them.

What CPU do you currently have? How much ram? (probably a good idea to fill out your user profile with your system specs)

Sure that card would run on your system, but (personal opinion) you are wasting your money at this point. Get a high end 7000 card instead. Wait until the DX10 games are out, and the prices of the DX10 cards come down.

DonNagual said:
Personal opinion:

I wouldn't waste money buying the 8800GTS on that system. These graphics cards are MONSTERS and require extremely fast systems in order to make full use of them.

What CPU do you currently have? How much ram? (probably a good idea to fill out your user profile with your system specs)

Sure that card would run on your system, but (personal opinion) you are wasting your money at this point. Get a high end 7000 card instead. Wait until the DX10 games are out, and the prices of the DX10 cards come down.

Thats true, if you don't have all the newest components to go with the card they will actually hamper it, you can read about it here.

Thanks for the article update, but I already know that
I have a Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2.52GHz and 1GB of DDR400 RAM (think I'll upgrade that later)

I heard that the 8800 series just won't work with some mobos, one of the issues was with an ABIT 945 Chipset, that has a full x16 PCI-Ex slot, not x4 like on this one... that's why I'm asking if someone can test this setup
Just so everyone knows, I currently have an ASUS EN6600, but as I told you before, I plan on upgrading the whole system later (full upgrade ~ march 2007) without loosing all the great games out there (even if that means cutting down an 8800 beast)

I doubt you are going to find anyone that can just test it for you. Thats a pretty specific question for people even if they happen to work at a computer shop, our forum just isn't that big. You'll have better luck asking the dudes over at HardOCP or someplace else where there is a larger amount of active members.

Greeting, I have errors trying to install 8800gts driver on my AsRock 775DUAL-VSTA got problem of "nv4_disp" or BSOD.

Winxp sp2
Computer hardware:
Intel Core 2 Duo e6300
G.SKILL F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ PC2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800
775DUAL-VSTA
XFX 8800GTS
2 x WD 250GB
500 watt

not sure it have something to do with my power suply. Waiting for new PS OCZ GameXStream 600W ATX12V, Let You Know when i get it

PS Sorry if my english is not perfect

A very well outfitted shop can test it for you and it will cost you. I doubt you will find a reliable software test, or something that you can use on one individual computer.
Sometimes you just have to trust the published specs and the reports from users.
Fundamentally, you would not be using the best card for your setup, and will be compromising the card performance.
Good luck on the OCZ.

I found an answer!

http://forums.anandtech.com/message...eyword=&STARTPAGE=1&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear
tcscenter over at Anandtech on page 54 said:
Originally posted by: flevio
is there any change in incompactibility with the new 8800gts 320 or its the same with old 8800 series?

Since neither the board nor chipset is the cause of the incompatibility, I doubt there would be any change. These GPUs won't work on PCI Express slots that operate @ 8x or 4x lanes, apparently.
Normally I wouldn't link to another forum, but that thread is 54 pages long and probably contains more information about that ASRock board than the rest of the internet combined. I think I've read about all of it from when I was deciding to get the board, through overclocking, and now for your 8800 question.

Back on page 52 or so and I think early on too, that the difference between 4x and 16x is only about 3-4% for most of the cards today, if that. But the newer cards it can be 10% perhaps even higher with the best cards. So in the future if there is a 16x PCI-E card that someone wants and it will work in a 4x configuration it may still be worth the upgrade for some people.

This board is NOT compatible with my 8800 gts, i end up getting DS3 board works perfectly and stable on prime95, but little flicker on my tv/monitor

Actually the 8800 GTS DOES work on this board, at least in Vista Home Premium x64 it does and its DEFINATELY a fair improvement over my old 6600GT AGP. I get around 6000 in 3D Mark 06 with a Core 2 Duo 6400 and 1GB DDR RAM (not DDR2). Of course this board was only a stop-gap while I upgraded graphics and got some DDR2 RAM. Once I have DDR2 I will be saving up for a better board and box this up to eventually go in my Linux box once I can afford another Core 2 Duo. Linux seemed to work better on VIA than the nForce 2 its currently running on.

As for XP though, I cant get it working at all I just get BSOD or a blank screen. However this is CLEARLY something that COULD be fixed in drivers if anyone could be bothered otherwise how would it work fine in Vista? If its ASRock, VIA, nVidia or even Microsoft at fault - who knows. But fact is, the 8800 DOES work on this board quite happily at PCIe 4x which decent performance on current games even with the bottleneck. It would be a perfect stopgap while saving for a better motherboard if you want to run Vista NOW, just a PITA it doesnt work in XP.

Except whats the point of a DX10 graphics card if you arent planning to use a DX10 compatible OS?

I would have thought anyone nuts enough to buy a 8800 is going to want to push the card as hard as possible which means playing DX10 games which come out this year and are Vista only.

Remember, some of the stuff on the 8800 is meant to run on the card with little data over the PCIe bus (eg physics) so would still be an improvement even on this low-end board.

Im running Vista Home Premium x64 on this board with a 8800GTS 320MB and am entirely happy with the performance im getting from such a cheapo board. Upgrading to DDR2 RAM will get me a little more performance and then upgrading to a better board will give me another boost. Overall its a FAR more enjoyable process than just using my Athlon XP 3200+ and GeForce 6600GT until I can afford to get ALL the parts at the same time especially when doing video editing. Games run a LOT smoother too.

As for it working in Vista x86, cant you just run Vista x64 instead? Not sure if its true but someone told me that if you buy the 32bit Vista you can choose to install 64bit, because the same regcode works for both, you choose during install. Contrary to popular belief it does NOT downgrade 32bit performance, in fact file IO is FASTER because it runs in 64bit even for 32bit apps. Not found any games that dont work yet, just theres less hardware drivers available but they are slowly trickling out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back